19 : He Cared

19 : He Cared

Xena was wide awake and her eyes were filled with terror when she found herself tied in front of a blazing fire that In her eyes, touched the sky.

So bright that it illuminated her surroundings so bright, so hot that it felt like she was already being roasted in the grill that they had back in the castle.

She was already sweating and her clothes were drenched in it.

Xena moved her head around only to take in the sight of her people, watching in excitement and smiles.

Psychotic smiles.

They held spears and torches while in the middle stood a man, giving a speech or that's what it seemed like. Xena tried to focus and hear him and move her mind away from the hot blazing fire.

" . . -ow, we will finish this once and for all! That creature is bonded with her and if we kill her, he dies as well!"

They didn't know. They didn't know that Xena had revoked her claim from Cassius and now he was on his own. She wanted to say but kept her lips sealed.

Maybe, it was for the best. They wouldn't go after Cassius if they would know that he is dead - that he of course will be not.

"The woman who was supposed to look after us has teamed with the enemies and we will not give her the title of our ruler anymore!" The same guy shouted loudly and the people of the town hooted in agreement.

He was at the top of his game.

"We will not let them destroy us!" The crowd hooted again and Xena clenched her eyes shut, Hoping for the worst to come soon.

She whimpered as the flames almost licked her, pushed by the wind. Tears spilled from her eyes. She was going to be burned.

Her ears have heard the rumors that death by fire is the most painful of all. More painful than the moment when woman gave birth.

"So, by the mercy of the gods, we shall finish this right now by burning her in this magnificent fire." The crowd hooted and Xena hung her head down.

What if Cassius was here? He wouldn't have let this happen, Right?

Suddenly, people closed in on her and started pushing the wooden plank she stood on towards the fire. She was silently crying. She couldn't do anything.

Closer and closer.

She cried harder as she was finally standing and inch away, the fire almost licking her.

"No- Please." She cried but her voice was too low for the crowd to hear.

Why am I begging!? They don't care. Xena thought.

"May God have mercy on us." Some random man said and just as they were about to push her in - to Xena's surprise - a large gush of wind came from somewhere and the magnificent fire that brightened the sky simmered down and vanished.

Now in its place stood Cassius in his all magnificent glory. Anger blazing in his eyes and his wings expended to great lengths.

Everyone watched, some with awe but most with fear painting their faces.

His chest heaved up and down and then their eyes met. Xena's teary eyes with Cassius' bright eyes.

Cassius felt anger increase at the broken sight and he roared. Roared so loud that a child started to cry from one of the houses in the back and with another swish of his wings, people around Xena flew back.

Cassius' heart pained watching Xena in her current condition but he expected no less from the sinful specie called human kind.

Xena herself closed her eyes by the strong wind and looked down. Her hair flew in all directions just like the puny humans around her.

Once the air was gone, Cassius made his way towards Xena and snapped her ropes open with one of his claws.

Immediately Xena threw herself in his arms and tightened her grip around him.

"Thank you." She murmured but Cassius didn't respond and after awkwardly patting her back, pulled away from her and spoke,

"Now we are even." Xena immediately knew what he meant. She saved him from being killed by the town people, he just returned the favor.

Xena thought that it might be another reason that might include the word 'Care' but no, it wasn't but she was still happy that he came.

Happy that someone came.

Cassius was . . . Troubled while looking for his feeling for the female in front of him. He didn't want to tell her that he did this because she saved him once. No. He did this because he didn't want anything to happen to her.

But he was a wuss to claim his feeling for her.

They both didn't notice that when Xena's dress caught fire from one of the torches that were left burning on the side.

Xena squealed when she felt the hotness but before it could take a taste of her skin, Cassius had ripped the dress off of her body.

Exposing her to wicked eyes.

Xena immediately covered her body with her little arms but of course, it was of no use. Immediately she felt air flow through her thin chemise and corset.

Cassius wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his warm embrace and lifted them both with one hard push.

Both of them flew through the sky with Xena's arms tightly wrapped around Cassius and vice versa.

Xena looked up at Cassius' face which was stone cold. She shivered and sighed, then gathering all her courage, she raised her head and pecked his cheek.

Ever so softly.

Cassius stiffened under her touch and lightly growled. Xena left her lips to linger and mumbled,

"Thank you for saving me." She said, whispering in his ear.

One, she needed distraction from the fact that they were several feet above the sky and Two, she was barely covered - only in her chemise and that was so thin.

"If you don't want me to drop you, stop whatever you are doing," Cassius growled and after a sharp glance at Xena, he quickened his speed.

"And what is that, that I am doing?" She teased. Since when did this female flirt. scratch that, women never made the move first!

Not in this era anyway.

Even though it was looked down upon in her town for a woman to be having affairs or Persuing a career and stuff like that which most men did - Xena did not care.

"Stop . . . Touching those things of yours to me." Cassius said while making a disgusting face even though he was far from disgusted.

Ah, the man's imagination runs wild.

"These things are known as lips Cassius." The way she said his name made him shiver in pleasure.

No one talked afterward.

"Why did you save me?" Xena finally asked after fifteen minutes if silence.

"I still need you for my revenge." Cassius mumbled and Xena closed her eyes in disappointment but then Cassius added, "And because I don't want you to die."

He cared.

Cassius cared for her, even though he didn't say it directly but it was enough for Xena.

A smile graced her lips and she hid her head in his chest while they made their way to her palace.

...

What do you think? I wrote this chapter after such a long time but it's good to be back. I don't know when I will post this but enjoy it.

P R O Q U E E N