Orochimaru nodded with a sigh. "We should leave within the next day or so." His eyes strayed to the large open windows of Hokage Tower.

He felt a shift in the air and knit his brow. He always had a tendril of his own chakra feeling out for Naruto when he was in Konoha. He wanted to feel the other's life force vibrate. It was beautiful. And since the kidnapping, he always had that link with Naruto. He'd become paranoid at that point.

"What is it?" Tsunade watched her fellow Kage before she looked in the same direction as him.

He shook his head and neared the window. "I'm not sure. Naruto's chakra spiked, then dropped. Like he's struggling? Yet, he seems calm." He frowned, fingers gripping the rim of the window.

"You mentioned earlier that he had decided to end his relationship with Sasuke Uchiha, yes?"

"Mm...he said he wanted to leave all bonds and ties in Konoha. That everyone would be safer that way."

"Are you worried it may not be going well? A fluctuation in his chakra doesn't necessarily mean he's in trouble."

Orochimaru's eyes widened and he leaned forward. "Unless that fluctuation suddenly drops to nothing. I can't pick up his chakra."

"What?" Tsunade moved next to Orochimaru and stretched her own chakra out, following Orochimaru's to Naruto's. There was nothing, trace amounts at best. "You don't think..."

"I'm not sure. I know he can make his chakra appear non-existent. And I cannot imagine Sasuke killing him." He paused as he stared out over Konoha, eyes trained on where he last felt Naruto's chakra signature. He swallowed, "There is a chance he could kill Naruto for leaving him."

"Why did you change your mind? Why do you think he might be capable of it? Just at thirteen years old. You said he didn't get bad until after he left Konoha."

Orochimaru glanced at Tsunade and murmured. "He would have left Konoha either tonight or tomorrow night." He looked back out. "I wonder if Naruto remembers that..."

*

The air in the room seemed heavy. The situation was thick with tension. It was a feeling Kurama did not like. The whole thing made him twitchy, and anxious. He didn't want to be there. And he didn't want to be there with Kakashi, doing what they were doing.

Kakashi searched the bone-weary, crimson eyes. The being before him had lived for so long. Had gone through its share of suffering at the hands of mortals. The things Kurama must have seen throughout his lifetimes lived on the planet. The rise and falls of humanity. How humans sought to destroy each other with any means necessary. Even if that meant trapping divine creatures within the bodies of humans. The cruelty he's suffered firsthand, being used and abused.

He shifted, leaned forward, and cupped Kurama's softly bronzed face in his hands. He watched the red rings of color shrink. Swallowed by pupils as they dilated. His breath sucked in harshly and caught in his throat.

Everything became profoundly quiet. Their breaths mingled soundlessly between them. The stillness in the room felt like a crowd had hushed in anticipation. Something pivotal rested at this moment, drawing it taut like a thread ready to snap without warning.

The pad of Kakashi's thumb pressed smoothly along Kurama's bottom lip, feeling the pillowy softness against his rough finger. Their noses almost touched as his head tilted ever-so-slightly to the right. Slate-grey and red-black locked with glimmering vermillion.

Kurama closed the gap, their lips sealed in a perfect kiss. The tension in the room snapped. Kurama's arms went up around the back of Kakashi's neck. Kakashi's arms encircled Kurama's waist, their legs shifted so they could get closer. Their backsides were barely on the couch and coffee table.