Chapter 10

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE! IT'S FREE :)

💙💙💙

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖞 𝖇𝖊𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖊 the next Quidditch match, Oliver had a practice and I went down with Harry and Ron because I wanted to give a go on his Firebolt too. I laid down on the bleachers, reading It while Madam Hooch dozed next to me and Ron watched the Quidditch game.

"Is that book any good?" Ron asked, glancing at the bloody letters on the front.

I looked up briefly. It was my hundredth time reading the book. "Yeah, it's really good. You want to read it after I'm done with it?"

"Maybe." Ron was apprehensive, and turned his attention back to the game. I looked for my place in the book and continued to read about how Beverly and Bill were going up to the hotel even though the people they were really married too were in hotels across the street. Of course, neither of them knew about that. Stupid really. Why would you cheat on someone you love? Of course, in Beverly's case, Tom was a huge prick. But Bill. . . stupid Bill. . .

Madam Hooch was snoring when the team practice was over and as Harry strode over and Ron vaulted the stands, I nudged Madam Hooch in the ribs. She woke up with a jolt.

"Thank you for waking me Miss Kane." Madam Hooch said, rubbing her yellow eyes.

"It's alright." I said, bookmarking my place in the book.

"Practice is over?" Madam Hooch asked, looking between Harry and Ron and the rest of the team heading back up to the castle.

"Yes." I answered honestly. "But Ron and I are going to try out Harry's broomstick. You can go back up to the castle if you would like, Black won't approach us."

Madam Hooch eyed me. I think if it had been any other student, she would've taken points or scolded them. However she just nodded. It was a bizarre, twisted feeling that the teachers trusted my word unquestionably. I watched as she headed back up to the castle. If I had been any other student (specifically a Slytherin) I'm sure there were a dozen things I could've gotten away with. The thought made me uncomfortable.

I vaulted the stands as well and watched as Ron took off on the Firebolt, flying up as high as he dared and then swooping down and doing loops, whooping the whole time. I grinned and bounced up and down as I waited for Ron to let me fly.

He flew for about fifteen minutes straight and it started to get dark. Finally, he touched down and handed the broom off to me. I jumped off from the ground and flew off, screaming with delight.

There was no way to describe such an experience. The wind blowing through my long tangled hair, the stomach drops from sudden drops, going up like a rocket. The broom seemed to respond to thoughts rather than touch. It was amazing and I wished for a millisecond that I had a Firebolt. But I was content with my Nimbus which was a very good broom itself.

After I touched down, red cheeks and freezing, Harry shouldered his broom and I grabbed my book and we headed back towards the castle. We talked about the smoothness of the Firebolt and other things and then suddenly, Harry stopped.

Ron and I looked at him.

"What's the matter?" Ron asked, looking at me.

Harry pointed into the darkness and I whipped out my wand and whispered, "Lumos." Crookshanks sat there in the leaves.

"Get out of here!" Ron roared furiously, reaching down and picking up a stone to throw it but Crookshanks was gone immediately. "See?" Ron continued, dropping the stone, still angry, "She's still letting him wander about wherever he wants- probably washing down Scabbers with a couple of birds now. . ."