Chapter 17

PLEASE VOTE! IT HELPS ME OUT AND IT'S FREE :)

💙💙💙

𝕴 𝖜𝖔𝖐𝖊 𝖚𝖕 with a headache.

Madam Pomfrey kept me longer than Harry, Hermione, and Ron. They left the infirmary an hour earlier than me. Both Hermione and Harry had asked me if I wanted them to stay with me but I just shook my head, looking blankly out the window, trying to find out if dad had returned to the castle already or not.

As she finally let me go she said, "Professor Lupin is a good man, Elizabeth. I'm sure Dumbledore will have it worked out so that you can stay with him."

I nodded dully. I headed to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Harry had already entered inside and I crept up the stairs to hear what they were saying.

". . .not leaving because of that?" Harry was asking.

"This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving from parents. . . They will not want a werewolf teaching their children, Harry. And after last night, I see their point. I could have bitten any of you. . . my daughter was standing right there in front of me. . . That must never happen again." Dad was saying, his voice cracked slightly talking about me.

Harry asked, "Did Fudge. . . Is Fudge. . . are you and Elizabeth. . ." He didn't seem to be able to get the words out.

"Dumbledore persuaded Fudge not to separate the two of us. I want to tell Elizabeth myself but I haven't seen her yet." Dad sounded a little hurt.

"Madam Pomfrey kept her longer than us. I think she's hiding in the forest." Harry said. "She goes there a lot, especially when she's upset. She probably thinks if she stays in there, she'll never know the outcome. She was. . . well she was really upset last night. She cried herself to sleep."

Dad inhaled a lot of air. "I'll go drag her out of the forest." He said softly.

I scampered down the stairs and fled the room and made my way out to the forest. I wandered through the forest, looking for Firenze. I had barely talked to him this year. Of course, he was busy, I knew that.

A few moments later, there were footsteps and I looked up and saw dad there. His hands were empty- I supposed he'd left his stuff in the carriage that would take him home.

I eyed him warily. He made no move toward me. He whispered, "Are you scared of me?"

I shook my head, tears coming to my eyes. "Dad. . . Fudge. . . he- he- he" I couldn't get the words out. I stumbled forward and laid my head on Dad's chest.

"It's alright." Dad said, smoothing my back in gentle circles. His arms felt strong and safe. He smelled fresh, like the pine needles and leaves of the forest. And wind, he especially smelled of the crisp wind. "Dumbledore convinced him that we should stay together. Nothing is changing, okay?"

I nodded and then said, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you that you would resign. I was hoping something would change when nothing did."

"It's quite alright." Dad said, smoothing my hair down. "I'll see you at home, alright?"

"You're leaving already?" I asked, looking up but not letting go.

"I don't want to stay, to be completely honest." Dad said. "But don't worry about anything for these last few days, okay?"

I nodded reluctantly. Dad kissed my forehead. "Want to walk back to the carriage with me?"

I nodded and took his hand and we walked back to the carriage, hand in hand.

💙💙💙

𝕸𝖞 𝖋𝖎𝖘𝖙 𝖘𝖑𝖆𝖒𝖒𝖊𝖉 into Malfoy's face. I ducked Crabbe's incoming fist and then kicked out. All our wands were lying on the floor, forgotten.