Chapter 9

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE! 

💙💙💙

𝕴 𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖉𝖔𝖜𝖓 for the end of term banquet of course. Ron and Hermione were there but Harry wasn't. I sat with the Hufflepuffs, between Susan and Leanne. I stared thoughtfully up at the table where Fudge was sitting next to Dumbledore. I pulled out my Herbology textbook and opened it up on the wooden table and read about water plants.

I wasn't trying to show off if Fudge was pointed my way, I was simply interested in these plants. They were an interesting subject. And besides, we had an essay on them in a few weeks- I foresaw that.

I barely ate anything, even though Susan was telling me I should eat something. I told her I was waiting for dessert. When dessert came around, I ate a block of ice cream and I was left alone about the eating.

After dinner, I was making my way back to the Hufflepuff common room, when I was intercepted by Professor McGonagall.

"Miss Kane, I need you to come with me." Professor McGonagall said. She sounded almost nervous. I sighed and followed her to Dumbledore's office. I bet if there was a prize for visiting Dumbledore's office the most- I'd most certainly have won it.

In the room were Professors Snape, Dumbledore, and Lupin. Fudge was standing on the opposite side of dad and so, I went over to where dad was standing. Fudge's eyes bulged a little and then relaxed. I nearly hissed under my breath.

"Elizabeth." Dumbledore said, "This is the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge."

I nodded a bit stiffly, "Yes, I know."

Fudge came over and held a hand out and I shook it because I didn't want to embarrass dad by being rude.

"I've heard quite a bit about you, Miss Kane." Fudge said politely.

"Yes, I heard as much in the Three Broomsticks today." I said in a cheerful voice.

Fudge looked flabbergasted. "You- you were there?"

I nodded, feeling a bit pleased about his reaction but not letting it show on my face. McGonagall's cheeks were flushed slightly.

"Well then." Fudge said, acting as though he was comfortable with this but he was obviously uneasy, "You know what I want to know."

"I haven't had any visions about Sirius Black." I stated blandly. "And hopefully, I never will."

Fudge seemed a bit angry about that, "You know that Black is a dangerous criminal! Everyone should be doing his or her part to catch him!"

I nearly opened my mouth to say that I didn't want him caught but kept my mouth shut. Dad's hand went on my shoulder. Fudge's eyes flicked to that gesture and then back to my face.

"I don't have the time to look for visions." I said. "I'm taking 15 classes, 5-6 private lessons with my favorite teachers, and Quidditch with homework on top of that. What visions come to me, I talk about, but I don't actively go out and search for visions."

Both Snape and McGonagall flushed at the favorite teachers part. Fudge looked a bit shocked and then Professor McGonagall spoke, "I told you Cornelius, she's one of our smartest students."

I flushed.

Fudge sighed in disappointment. "Well, I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. I suppose if you see something about Black you'll tell Dumbledore right away?"

"Of course." I said a bit more happily. I was glad this conversation was coming to a close.

Dad lowered his hand from my shoulder, also sensing the conversation coming to a close. Fudge looked at him again and then headed back across the room. I heard dad sigh behind me. But it wasn't a sad sigh, it was a 'I'm used to this treatment' sigh.