When I peek into her room, I find Alaya half awake in her toddler bed, rubbing her eyes and stretching her tiny arms

When I peek into her room, I find Alaya half awake in her toddler bed, rubbing her eyes and stretching her tiny arms. I gently open the door all the way and move over to her curtains to let in some morning sunlight. When Alaya notices me, she smiles tiredly.

"Hi, my baby," I say softly as I approach her bed. She watches me as I approach, and once I'm close enough, she reaches her hands to me with a sleepy smile. I lifted her up into my arms, taking in the warmth of her tiny body against mine. As I hold her, she nuzzles her face into my neck and whispers lightly. "Good morning, mommy."

I smile and bring my arm up to gently stroke her back. "Good morning, honey. Did you sleep good?" Alaya nods, her eyes still half-closed. "I had a dream about pink unicorns," she mumbles, her voice filled with innocence. I smile, and a fake gasp says, "Unicorns! That's amazing."

I say as I walk over towards her dresser, gathering some of her clothes for the day. "I wish I could dream of unicorns," I continue, voicing a phony longing in my voice. Alays turns her head to watch what I'm doing before asking, "What did you dream of?' I paused for a moment, not expecting that question. "Uh... you know... it wasn't too exciting as yours." I try to come up with something on the spot, but my mind draws a blank.

And, for an agent, I was pretty bad at lying to my daughter; it's just that when it came to her, I couldn't do it. "Just some... stuff," I finally reply, hoping she doesn't press for more details. "You ready for your bath?" As I divert the conversation, Alaya smiles and nods, already forgetting about her question. After going to the bathroom, I bathed her. Once I'm done, I pick her up, place her in front of the mirror, and start her hair.

As I comb through her hair, I notice that it's gotten longer since the last time I did it. I make a mental note to ask my sister about any new hair care tips she may have picked up as a mother. After I finished her hair, I swooped her baby hair to the side a little and added barrettes.

 After I finished her hair, I swooped her baby hair to the side a little and added barrettes

"Do you like it, mama?" I ask as she begins to touch her hair. She then begins to smile and nod her head. I return her smile and take her downstairs, where both our bags are. I helped her to her feet and double-checked our bags to make sure everything was in them. After that, I grabbed both bags and her hand before walking out of the apartment and locking the door. We walked to the elevator, got in, and rode it down to the garage, where we found our car.