27 | New thing

Prom's in 2 days and I still don't have a dress.

Next to that, Parker's been coming to visit me almost everyday since we met in person. And he brings flowers for me every time. I could start a mini garden with all the bouquets he's bringing me. I appreciate it, I really do. But I just don't want to dissapoint him... But then again, I already know what he would say if I admitted that.

"Maybe I need to bring some more books for you to read," he says as he looks at my half empty book shelf.

"I'm not really a reader actually."

"Then I guess you'll have to become one," he says grinning.

"My brain has enough information in it!" I groan.

He chuckles and hops onto my bed. "Hey! I told you not to sit next to me!"

"Why?" He whispers into my ear. "Because it makes you nervous?"

I scoot to the right and look away to hide my embarrasment. "N-no! That's not why." He gets off and walks over to the couch by the window. 

"Too bad," he mumbles.

"Hey, I told you before. We can't be together." He jerks his head toward me, now his face tight.

"Why do you think you're not good enough?"

"Without my legs I'm nothing." He tilts his head and says, "you know that's not true." The words sting me, because honestly I don't want to believe it, but it just feels so true: that I'm not good enough without my legs.

"I've trained for years. What am I supposed to do if I lose my legs?"

"You could find something new."

I sigh. "Easier said than done."

"It might be easier than you think."

I've never really thought about anything else other than running for the past few years. I don't have any other hobbies, unless you consider my new incling to read. Maybe it would be good to develop some new hobbies or find other things that I would like to do- but of course not to replace track, just to pass the time.

 Maybe it would be good to develop some new hobbies or find other things that I would like to do- but of course not to replace track, just to pass the time

"What song is playing?"

Sally checks her phone which is playing music. "When you believe. It's from the movie the Prince of Egypt. The movie has a great story line and amazing anamatics. Kinda heart breaking though."

"There can be miracles, when you believe. Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill~"

I close my eyes as I listen to the lyrics and hum along with the melody. 

Before running became number one in my life, which was a long time ago, I really liked to sing as a kid. Born into a musical family, everyone thought I'd become the next big singer, but to their dismay, I didn't. I became, in my opinion, something greater: a world class junior athelete. 

But now with legs that barely work, I don't feel so great anymore. "At least my legs don't hurt anymore."

"Yeah, that's a miracle in itself," Sally mentions, as she walks around the room collecting some trash left over from Parker's visit. He could at least learn how to clean up after himself. What's he gonna do when he lives alone in the future? I can already imagine what his room looks like.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Sally looks at me with a mischevious smile dancing on her lips.

"What about you? What are you smiling about?" I try to counter.

"Don't try to divert the conversation, little miss."

I cross my arms. "I'm not little."

"Okay, ma'am," she teases. 

I blow away the strand of hair that fell in front of my face. "Whatever."

"But when you're blinded by your pain, can't see the way, get through the rain. A small but still, resilient voice says, help is very near, oh." I sing along through the rest of the song reading off the lyrics from my phone. Swaying left to right, soaking up the words and notes, without realizing it leads me into a deep sleep.

By the time I wake up it's already dark outside and mom's asleep on the couch. I sit up and yawn. I haven't been able to sleep this well in months. I guess I've found the thing I'm going to be doing for the next coming time.

"I'll visit books again soon".

🍕

What are your hobbies besides reading or writing stories?

Ithought I'd post this as a lil hi from me :) I kinda miss this ;-; you guys, writting, and just making stories- oh and free time ;-; Anyways, stepping into the holiday season, I hope my dearest roses (you guys) are doing well and will have a lovely and blessed December <3

I hope you enjoyed the chapter and thank you for reading! Don't forget to