8 | Reality

"Dude, are you okay? Why do your eyes look like that?"

I turn my head to Devon, with sleepy eyes I look at him. "Do I seem okay?"

"You kinda look like a truck hit you while you were sleep walking."

"Thanks for reminding me I look like trash." I scoff.

Devon's eyebrows furrow as he's putting on his apron. I lean on the counter and bring my hand to my face. "Is it your girl?"

"Yes. It is. Or no? I don't know anymore what it is." I run my fingers through my hair and exhale.

He takes a step back, knowing that I'm not up to joke around. "Calm down. You look like you could tear me into shreds right now. What's got you so on edge?"

"I saw her kissing her ex."

"What?! Did you confront them?"

"No, I didn't! Because I froze and chickened out." Devon unties his apron and grabs his car keys. 

"What are you doing?"

"To go teach the dude a lesson?" I sigh and look at my best friend. 

Everyone needs a Devon in their life. A best friend who will go beat up the guy your ex cheated on you with. The best friend who's there for you in all times: when you need him and when you don't. And that friend who always does before he thinks, leading you both into trouble...

"Thanks but no. Not now."

"Not now?" One of his eyebrows raises and he's putting his keys on the table.

I'm not in the right mind at the moment. "I'll go talk to him when I'm ready."

He scoffs, "you'll talk to him when you're ready?" Both of his eyebrows are now raised. I know it might sound crazy at how calm I sound right now, but inside I feel like the flames of fire are buring the top of my throat.

I'm so mad that I want to turn over the counter right now... but I refrain from doing so. I don't want to get into trouble right now. I don't know how much longer I would be able to hold my temper then. 

"Alright, I guess. It's your call." He shurgs and reties his apron on and gets to counting cash in the register.

Stay calm. Stay calm. Do not use your fighting skills for bad. Only good. Keep calm-

Ring, ring, ring.

I take a look at the number and realize who it is. I feel a small smile appear on my face.

"Tara." I say into the phone.

"So you... forgot-"

"Sorry, I forgot to tell you." I interupt. 

"Yeah, it's fine."

"How about I send you a pizza as an apology? Pepperoni?"

"I'm allergic to pepperoni."

"Who's allergic to pepperoni?"

"She is," Devon chimes in. Suprised that he knows this, my eyebrows furrow. 

"And how do you know that?"

"Oh forgot to tell you, she called." Devon confesses. Of course she did...

"Wait- hold up. Then why do you call me something you're allegic to?"

"Because... you like it?"

"Okay... ?" But the bigger question is, why does she have a nickname for me at all? 

Before I can ask anything more, she interupts my train of thought. "You wanna make it up to me?"

"Yes." I nod out of habit.

"Then sing me a song."

"Sing?"

"Yes!" I hear her giggle on the other side and it somehow makes me feel sick. But not that I want to throw up, more an uncomfortable feeling. It's strange. I feel so comfortable yet so uncomfortable at the same time when on the phone with her.

"Tomorrow."

"Now."

"Tomorrow."

"Why not now?"

"I need to... prepare."

She hums for a second before answering. "Okay, then. I'll be looking forward to it!"

Beep, beep, beep.

I put the phone down and look through the window and watch a couple walk by hand-in-hand... the reality from yesterday is starting to sink back in. 

Poor guy

Poor guy. At least it seems like Tara cheered him up a bit.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter and thank you for reading, dearest roses! Don't forget to