25. bittersweet

Spencer found herself standing in the broiling sun of the morning heat, summer beginning to swing into Montana

Spencer found herself standing in the broiling sun of the morning heat, summer beginning to swing into Montana. She hadn't wanted to get all dolled up that morning, but when she heard about the groundbreaking she knew she couldn't miss it. No, she wanted to be there to watch Dan Jenkins voluntarily lose his life savings to Rainwater. And she hadn't been disappointed.

"You have a lot of nerve showing your face here," Dan spoke as he approached Spencer, who merely smiled as she tipped her sunglasses down.

"Don't lie, I know you missed me." Spencer's smirk grew as Dan chuckled.

"To what do I owe the pleasure Ms. Dutton?"

"I just wanted to see your face when you realized I was right."

Dan froze, looking at Spencer with a puzzled expression.

Spencer scoffed, shaking her head. "You are the biggest fool in Montana, really it's quite impressive. Do you know how many people this is going to piss off? Dan, annexing the land just lost the state and its contractors thousands of jobs. And let's not even talk about the liquor and food license boards who got royally fucked out of money. And you just let Rainwater plaster your face over the whole thing."

Spencer watched as the recognition and horror rolled over Dan's face. Something that made her feel quite happy. Although it appeared that joy would be short lived at the sight of Sawyer calling her.

"Everything good Sarge?"

"It's actually bad. Like really bad. You need to get back here right now, Spencer."

"I'm on my way."

Spencer turned, smirking at Dan despite the fear that was beginning to rise and bubble over in her chest. "Don't you fucking forget this Danny Boy, because you are the one that loaded Rainwater's gun for him."

She sauntered off to her truck after, not wanting to give Dan the chance to respond. Or to see the shake in her hands that was halting her from turning the key over faster. Eventually she got the truck into gear, pulling out from the dirt lot with a screech of the tires.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

From the look on Kayce's face, and the somber expression on her father's, Spencer knew she was walking into something bad. But what she saw? She could've thrown up at the field that laid before her.

"Clover," John began to explain, "I think they airdropped it. Donnie couldn't find any tire marks."

"Fuck Donnie, did we get any aerial?" Spencer asked as she lifted a hand to her face and through her hair. Kayce nodded, confirming their father's observation.

"Who did it?" The only question Spencer had left.

John shrugged, looking over the field. "Jenkins?"

"Not a shot," Spencer laughed. "The man knows nothing about cattle, let alone killing it. Besides, he's so strapped for cash it's unlikely he could afford the clover, let alone a plane to haul it."

John sighed as he looked over the field once more. "I still want you all to look into it. I want Kayce to take point with Livestock, Tiny I need you here."

From the look in his eye, Spencer knew her father had something else he needed her to do. They waited for a moment as Kayce went off, most likely to get a speech from Donnie about not being an idiot with his gun. Spencer looked to her father, waiting for him to continue talking.

"I want you to work this," he mumbled, keeping an eye on Donnie. "No one knows this ranch and the people in this valley better than you. Donnie's going to be keeping his eyes on Kayce, so you'll be able to do what you need to."

"And what's in it for me, exactly? Saving the ranch for Kayce? I love Tate as much as you do Daddy but I'm not really interested in acting as a caretaker for him or his father."

"It's yours."

Spencer stared at her father in bewilderment. "What?"

"Kayce's a beneficiary, but your name is on the trust. Yellowstone is yours the moment my heart stops beating. Hell, I think we both know you've been running this show for a while anyway, Tiny."

Spencer couldn't speak, every moment of rage and anger at her father, at Kayce, hell even at Rip and Tate for a passing second, all crashed into the ground as shock pushed through her. "You're not lying?"

John chuckled, although he could feel the guilt coursing through him for not telling her sooner. "I'm not lying Tiny. No one loves this ranch more than you. Besides, I think your mother would roll over in her grave if I gave this place to anyone else. Lee too."

Spencer couldn't stop herself from throwing her arms around her father. She caught sight of Rip in the distance, who sent her a knowing smile and a wink. Little bastard, she thought to herself as she winked back.

Rip's smile grew in warmth as he watched Spencer walk toward him, a mischievous grin on her own face. He hadn't told her what John had asked of him, but he didn't care. To see the smile and happiness that came over Spencer, Rip would give his soul again and again to see that everyday.

"You knew?" Spencer asked once she stopped directly in front of him. Rip only nodded, his smirk never falling from his face.

Spencer could've smacked him, but she was too damn excited and relieved to even think of it. No games, no sneaking, she had earned her home without the bullshit. She leaned forward to kiss him, but Rip stopped her.

"What's wrong?"

Rip looked around, seeing the rest of the wranglers and police milling around.

Spencer chuckled, "Honey when have you been scared of a little PDA?"

She leaned forward again, but Rip stopped her. When she looked at Rip with confusion and rejection in her eyes, she realized his gaze was fixed on her father. What on-

"No." She started, pieces clicking together in her mind. "No, no, no. Rip what did you do?"

"I love you Darlin', but I can't stand in your way. I would give everything and more to see you have what you want."

Spencer's eyes began to well with tears as she shook her head from side to side. She didn't want to hear what he had to say, not anymore.

"Baby," Rip started, but Spencer pushed herself from his arms. "Spencer!"
Rip's yell drew the attention of everyone else, confusion began to grow as they watched Spencer run away crying. And she ran, as fast as her feet could take her.

If she didn't let him tell her, it wouldn't be true. It couldn't be true. Because she didn't know who she would be more upset with. Herself, her father, or Rip. But as she ran, she felt the weight of it sinking in her heart.

He was leaving her.