26. an unexpected villain

A chill had fallen over the Yellowstone Ranch

A chill had fallen over the Yellowstone Ranch. And no amount of heat, no fire, no warmth, could pull the cold from the air.

Everyone had watched Spencer walk away from the pasture the night before, but no one had understood the gravity of the situation until that morning.

"What's the plan with the pasture?" Kayce asked, looking at Spencer from across the kitchen island. He had never seen his sister so still in his life. It was like she was a ghost.

Spencer shook from her daydreaming, feeling the tiredness weighing on her. She hadn't been able to sleep last night. "Burn it."

Kayce nodded, mentioning something about prepping for it and then walking out the back door. He, along with the rest of the Dutton family, realized it was probably in their best interest to stay as far away from Spencer as possible. Whoever was arguing outside, however, didn't share the same genius.

Spencer barged through the front door, more than content with screaming at whoever was on the other side of it. She stopped though, when she looked at the situation in front of her. Two older men she had never met before were standing directly on the porch. Her porch, she reminded herself, while Rip fought with some other men. Most likely bodyguards. She didn't let her gaze linger on him for long, the feelings of betrayal and anger still simmering just below the surface of her heart.

"Who the fuck are you?" She asked, gaining the attention of the men. They merely smiled before turning back to the fight. "You are standing on my fucking porch, assholes. So I would speak up because-"

Spencer pulled the gun that was kept by the door for instances like this, the resounding click of a bullet entering the chamber.

"I won't be asking again."

This time the one in the black hat turned, a condescending smile on his face. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Teal Beck, this is my brother Malcolm. And you are?"

Spencer scoffed as Teal reached out his hand for her to shake. "Spencer Dutton."

That caught Malcolm's attention, pulling him from the fighting to look at the red head. He hadn't expected the savior of the Greenview ranch to be so young. Malcolm looked to Teal, shaking his head back once to send him to break up the fighting. Rip backed off, keeping a distance but watching over the situation.

"Is your father home Spencer?"

"I'm not a fucking child, you'd do well to remember that. And this is my ranch, so whatever you want to speak to him about you can tell me. I'll be sure to pass the message along."

The smile she gave Malcolm made it clear she had no intention of speaking to anyone about his message. But he didn't care, he was more excited about this new development.

"Very well," Malcolm agreed, surprising his brother. "We have a proposition for you. News broke about that new casino being put up in your backyard. As individuals with mutual disinterest in that, we want to work together."