7. back in business

Monday Afternoon

Monday Afternoon

"Whatcha need Darlin'?" Rip asked as he walked out of the barn, feeling Spencer's presence before he saw her.

"Take me on a date."

Rip stopped in his tracks. "What?"

"You heard me," Spencer smirked as she sauntered closer to the man.

"I don't have the energy for your mood swings, Spence," Rip groaned. "You want to hop in the truck, drive down the road and fuck? Fine by me. Better yet, I'm sure you'd love to go beat some poor bastard up first, right? I'm not dealing with this until you hear me out."

Spencer nodded, pretending to contemplate the options, before hopping into the passenger seat of Rip's truck. "You coming or what?"

Rip stared at the girl for a moment, eyes wide, before walking to the truck and getting in the driver's side. He drove for a while, neither speaking, until they reached a spot somewhere between the ranch and the state park. Once he turned the car off, looking warily over to the redhead in his passenger seat.

Spencer smiled, taking his hat off his head, putting it on her own as she fixed her hair.

"God you have an itch today don't ya?" Rip laughed in a whisper, trying to focus on anything but Spencer's smile and failing.

Spencer leaned against the window, looking through her lashes at the man. "You wanted to talk baby so let's talk."

Rip's words got stuck in his throat as she tipped his hat down over her eyes, leaving only the slightest view of her face. "You're gonna be the death of me woman."

"Maybe so, but we both know you're the only thing I live for." Spencer stated, the flirt in her words drying up. "Tell me."

Rip nodded, launching into the details. How he had been looking for John, got stuck in a conversation with Beth instead. And how Beth made up some bull shit excuse to get him into her room, needing help with the dresser if he remembered correctly. And then, before he knew it, Beth had her robe undone and her hands on his belt buckle. He had been surprised, but pushed her off right away to walk out.

"If I had reacted slower or faster we probably would've avoided this whole mess," Rip laughed as he finished telling the story.

Spencer nodded, letting the story sink in. It seemed like something Beth would do, that much she did know. But the what if's were starting to roll through her mind.

Rip reached across the console, gently pulling Spencer's hand into his. "Hey, you don't have to believe me today or tomorrow. But Darlin', I meant it when I said I'd wait everyday for you."

Spencer nodded, staring out the front window of the truck. "I believe you, really. I'm sorry I didn't want to listen."

"I'm just glad you gave me a chance. I swore I was gonna wake up with a knife to my throat."