24. light at the end of the tunnel

Kayce sat just above the ridge, watching as Spencer and the other wranglers pushed the cattle around

Kayce sat just above the ridge, watching as Spencer and the other wranglers pushed the cattle around. He watched the joy that washed across her face with each turn Rebel made. Kayce couldn't remember the last time she smiled like that, and it was probably longer since that smile had been directed at him. He wasn't sure where their relationship had gone wrong, but he had a gnawing feeling in his stomach it was his fault.

Spencer broke off from the corral, letting Sawyer and Jackson take over for her. It had been nice to see Jackson after so long, happy with her brother's decision to at least bring the other Taylor sibling on board.

She had felt Kayce's gaze on her all morning, a negative sign of being twins she supposed. It was hard to have such hostility sitting between the two of them, she'd admit that. But it seemed at every turn the twins found themselves on opposing sides. Fortunately for Spencer, however, she had the rest of the wranglers on her side. When Kayce had gone over the game plan that morning, she did her best to hide her smile as Ryan, Colby, and even Jimmy pestered Kayce with a million nonsense questions about the move to pasture nine. Rip had seemed less than pleased with their pestering, but it had given him a chance to prove to John he was getting along with Kayce.

The couple had seemed to reach a standstill as well. With no space to call their own once again, it was hard to find time to work through their feelings about the recent changes. Spencer felt Rip wasn't trying enough for the ranch, where Rip felt she was pushing too hard. Everything in Spencer's life seemed to be stuck because of her father's decision.

It was why Spencer found herself sitting in the bed of Rip's truck, watching the clouds float across the sky.

"You alright Darlin'?" Rip asked as he approached the redhead. He had felt the cold settling in between them too, and couldn't be more grateful to see her reaching out.

"Are we?" Spencer asked as she sat up, locking her blue eyes on his.

Rip paused, breathing out through his teeth. "Of course we are Sweetheart. I know it's been a rough few days-"

Spencer cut Rip off, all but leaping into his arms abruptly. She felt all the anger of the week fall away with every second Rip held her in his arms. Spencer smiled as she felt him push her hair behind her ear, looking up when his fingers crossed her jaw.

"I love you Spencer Dutton," Rip spoke slowly, making each word stand out from the next. "And nothing in this world is going to change that."

Spencer smiled as she brushed her hand across his face. "I love you too Rip Wheeler, everyday until my last."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

author's note. two short chapters today, i really needed something to bridge the gap into the heart of the drama of season two. i promise longer chapters are on their way next week!