Chapter 2: Secrets

Start from the beginning

This time, Batman turned back to his son. "Is it true?" he inquired.

Damian nodded. "Yes. I trust her."

Before Batman could reply, Nightwing cut in. "Well I don't. If she's really here to protect Damian, then why did she attack us on the rooftops?"

"I was surprising Damian," I defended myself.

Nightwing gave me an incredulous look. I think there was also disbelief in his expression, though it was hard to tell with his mask on. "Surprises don't usually involve killing."

"She wasn't even trying to hurt me," this time it was Damian who came to my defense, and I threw him a grateful smile. He was too busy glaring at Nightwing to notice.

Nightwing returned the glare. "Well she wasn't so restrained when it came to me," he shot back.

"Get over yourself," I muttered. "Nobody said I couldn't kill you. Besides, you're the one who attacked me with your eskrima sticks while my daggers were with Damian. And I still would've kicked your ass if Impulse hadn't arrived."

Nightwing opened his mouth to reply, but Batman finally interrupted us. He had remained quiet as we argued, but now I could see there was a small smile on his face. "You almost beat him weapon-less?" he sounded almost... impressed.

"I still don't trust her," Nightwing interjected.

"And nobody still cares," I retorted.

At my reply, Impulse snickered. A glance from all of use made him stop though. "Sorry," he apologized after clearing his throat.

I sighed, turning to Batman. "Don't you think this interrogation has gone on long enough? If you don't trust me enough to let me stay near Damian, fine. I don't have to be near him to protect him, anyway."

"Father, you have to let her stay," Damian interjected.

Batman glanced at Damian's pleading face, then back at me. Then he looked at Nightwing, who had his arms crossed over his chest and a sour expression on his face. "She can stay," Batman finally announced.

The only thing that made me happier than being able to stay with Damian was the look on Nightwing's face after Batman allowed me to stay. I could've sworn I almost heard his jaw hit the ground in shock. It was priceless. My glee was short- lived though. While I was finally able to stand up from my chair and Damian gave me another hug, Batman cleared his throat.

"Impulse and Robin, go meet up with the rest of the team. I just have to talk to Nightwing and Asteria for a few more minutes," he ordered.

Impulse and Damian immediately obeyed. Damian threw me a worried glance, as if the thought of leaving me alone with his father and Nightwing wasn't a good one. In all honesty, even I felt apprehension blossom inside my chest. Once they disappeared, Nightwing began speaking.

"You can't be serious about letting her stay, are you? It will put the safety of the whole team in jeopardy," he said as if I wasn't there.

"I am serious, Dick," Batman said. He finally removed his cowl, and for the first time I saw Bruce Wayne in person. Damian looked a lot like his father, except for his green eyes, which he inherited from Talia. While Damian's eyes were like emeralds, Bruce's eyes were a light and clear blue.

"So you trust me?" I asked hesitantly.

"No," Bruce replied bluntly. "I don't trust people easily. But Damian trusts you, and I trust him. Besides, I would rather have you under my roof, where I can keep track of what you're up to."

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, huh?" I asked jokingly.

Bruce shrugged. "In a way, yes. But you're not an enemy, Asteir. You're a stranger."

"Not to Damian," I pointed out.

"Even if she stays here, there's no saying she won't harm the team," came Nightwing's annoying opinion. I had a feeling this boy did not like me very much. Then again I didn't think twice about killing him.

"I'll stay away from your precious team, okay?" I said angrily. "The only one I'm concerned about is Damian."

Bruce sighed, and for the first time, I could read his expression very well. It was on of exasperation. "I need you two to stop fighting. If you can't do that, then just stay out of each other's way. While I agree that we can't trust you yet, I am willing to give you one chance. So don't mess it up." He emphasized the word one. I guess not everybody gets second chances.

Nightwing still seemed unhappy, so Bruce turned back to him. "If Asteria betrays Damian or the team, you have my permission to go after her, alright?" he said.

"I'm right here you know," I muttered.

They both ignored me, but what Bruce said seemed to appease Nightwing. "Fine," he said reluctantly. "If anyone gets hurt, it's on you, though."

Bruce simply nodded. "Now go take her to meet the team," he ordered.

"But I thought-"Nightwing began.

"She'll run into them eventually. Better get introductions over with now," Bruce interrupted.

Instead of replying, Nightwing walked away without another word.

"You should follow him," Bruce said with a small smile.

I nodded and turned to go after my worst enemy. After taking a few steps, I realized something and turned back to Bruce. He was still watching me, and a look of confusion crossed his face momentarily. "Thank you," I said.

"For what?" he asked. And for the second time that night, I could read his expression clearly. He was surprised by my gratitude.

"Giving me a chance," I replied before turning away and running after Nightwing.

-------------------------------

So here's Chapter 2 as promised!

We get to know a little bit about Asteria and see Bruce Wayne/ Batman. So what do you guys think? Will Asteria earn their trust? Or will she make a mistake and mess up her chance? :)

Thank you for all of those who gave this story a chance and for the one vote! OMG I love you. It actually inspired me to write more. And I may just put up Chapter 3 in awhile, because the creative juices are on over drive.

Next chapter: Asteria meets the whole team and sees Nightwing without his mask for the first time.

Love always,

Angel

(inspired)