16. Ethan

"Are you ready?" Dad asked and I nodded as I looked towards the school building one last time. I could hear chatter as graduates and their families exited the school. I swallowed the knot in my throat as Noah and his family and friends stepped out. He looked beautiful in his dark jeans, white button up shirt and hair a mess. I was as he three his head back as he laughed at something Liam said.

I shook my head and looked away in fear that if I stared long, that he would look my way. Just one look from him and my mind goes blank and I know that if he were to ask me to stay, that I would, in a heart beat no questions asked.

"I'm sure Noah will understand why you left without saying goodbye to him." I blinked and looked at her.

"We know, E," dad said making me frown and he stared at me through the rear view mirror, "and know we're okay with it and support you."

"Huh?" I asked but he shook his head before he pulled out of the parking lot and made his way towards the airport.

I shook my head and decided to pass time by listen to music. I rested my head on the headrest and closed my eyes as Dad drove. I could hear my parents talking as Sol watched her favorite cartoon, Cocomelon, on her tablet.

*****

"Ethan? Wake up," I groaned as Dad shook me lightly and opened my eyes to see that we were in front of our private jet. I stretched and climbed out of the car once he moved out of the way and grabbed my bag before shutting the door behind me.

"Where are we flying to first for my second match before I hang my gloves for good?"I asked him as we climbed the steps of the jet after greeting the pilot and stewards. Mom and Sol were already sitting on one of the sofas.

"First stop will be in Philadelphia,"  Dad stated as he looked at his tablet once we sat down across from my mom and little sister. I nodded as I rested my head on the headrest of the chair, "get some sleep, we'll wake you up when we land."

"Alright."

And so I closed my eyes and let sleep take me under its wings and before I knew it, I was in dreamland only for it to be disrupted five hours later by my mom shaking me awake.

"We're here," she said and I nodded as I sat up and stretched. I grabbed my bag and swung it over my shoulder as I stood up to follow her and dad —who carried a sleeping Sol—out of the plane.

"We will meet you back here in three days, Jerry," Dad said to the pilot who nodded, "so get some rest and explore the city."

"We will, thank you sir," Jerry replied with a nod that dad returns before he strapped Sol into her car seat in the back of the rented car. Mom climbed into the passenger's seat while I sat on the other side of Sol.

"How many fights do I have?" I asked dad as he drove towards our rented house.

"You only have three fights," he said and I nodded, "The UFC wanted you to have more fights but I shut then down saying that you want to focus on your academic career and focus on other things that don't involve getting knocked out. I know I had pushed you to keep going but your mother made me realize that you've been injured one too many times on the ring that it's time for you to hang your gloves for good."

He was right. I've been knocked out one too many times throughout my career that I've lost count. The last time it happened had been a year ago on my last match of the season and I had gone up against a new fighter named Carl August. He was insane but I ended up winning and that was because he had kicked me in the groin and fuck that had been the most painful experience I've ever gone through. I literally saw stars and I was in so much pain. I had to be on bed rest for three weeks because the asshole kicked me so hard that my dick was swollen and bruised. I could barely walk.