9. Noah

"Yes, Mrs. Morris?" I stopped when I heard Ethan's voice and furrowed my brows. Isn't he supposed to be in class right now? "Is there something you needed?"

"Yes," I heard the teacher say and I could hear her heels clicking on the tiled floors, and what she said took me by surprise. "You."

What the actual hell? "I've seen the way you've been staring at me the entire class. Which is why I didn't call on you." What the fuck should I do? Should I knock on the door? Get a teacher to go in there and stop them from whatever was about to happen. And why the fuck did it hurt that he was in there with her? I shouldn't even care. We just met for fucksakes so why does it bother me so much?

I didn't hear anything else until I heard a thud and I walked away the moment I heard the moans and gasps echo from the closed door.

My heart ached for an unknown reason and I shook my head as I made my way toward Miss Lucile's class. She was my independent studies teacher during this period.

"Hello Noah," she greeted upon seeing me enter her classroom, "it's wonderful to have you back to school."

"It's good to be back." I replied and she nodded, "And please don't feel bad about what happened. It's been taken care of and I'm sure that it won't be happening again."

"That's good, I wish I had been there to stop those boys from hurting you that way." She started with furrowed brows making her young face look ten years older than it was.

"It's alright, really, so please don't beat yourself over it," I reassured the young woman. Miss Lucile was a beautiful woman with beautiful golden brown eyes and soft brown hair with golden highlights. She was petite with soft curves and stood around 5'6. She was in her late 20s and was currently engaged to her high school sweetheart, Mr. Jackson, the art teacher across the hall. Today she had on a shirt dress with black leggings underneath and gold flats. Her hair which she usually and down was up in a bun with a few strands free framing her cherubic face.

"I was wondering if it'll be okay if I sang a song I wrote?" I asked and she blinked at the change of subject before nodding with a smile.

"You know you don't have to ask that. This is your independent studies class, after all." She said and I grinned setting my backpack down on one of the chairs by the window before making my way to the piano.

I opened the lid and skimmed my fingers over the keys before pressing on them and letting the melody flow through my lips.

A resident of a mansion
With halls, I'd never mention
And rooms that I don't think I've ever seen
Skeletons in the closet
With shirts, I haven't worn yet
And clothes I've worn since I was 17

*****

"Mr. Rivers, a moment please?" Mr. Dawson asked as class ended and I nodded biting my cheek, Levi gave me a small smile before saying he'll save me a seat at lunch and I nodded.

"Yes?" I asked before my mind went to a few hours ago when I overheard Ethan and Mrs. Morris in her class, will that be the case with Mr. Dawson? I mean Mr. Dawson wasn't old perhaps in his late 30's with dark black hair and hazel eyes. He had a five o'clock shadow along his sharp jaw. He was about 5'10 with a muscular build. I could see his muscles constricting in his gray button-down shirt. I blinked when he called my name and shook my head to see him raising a brow.

"Sorry," I apologized giving him a sheepish smile as I rubbed my neck and he sighed shaking his head, "what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Just wanted to see how you were doing and how your classes have been going since you got back?" He asked and I smiled.

"It's going well," I replied and he nodded, "that's good. Listen if you need help catching up in class let me know and we can figure something out since I don't want you repeating my class."

"I appreciate that Mr. Dawson, thank you," I said and he nodded before letting me go.

I walked into the cafeteria after grabbing the books I would need for the last two classes of the day and searched the familiar group of friends—old and new—and found them by the large floor-to-ceiling window. I sighed and made my way over to them before sitting down beside Mac who smiled and gave me a hug that I was quick to return. I looked at Ethan who sat across from us and saw him glaring at the table with balled-up fists making me frown. Before I could even get a chance to ask what was wrong, I was pulled into a conversation with Andrew and Levi. We got talking about the trip I got us to go see Little Mix next month and how excited they all were making me laugh.

That's how lunch had gone and through it all, I kept looking at Ethan but he didn't look up or speak at all. I sighed and quickly finished my lunch as the bell rang signaling that lunch was over.

"Put that frown upside down," I found myself saying to Ethan who walked beside me while Mac and Andrew talked about the trip ahead of us.

He blinked and looked down before apologizing for not talking during lunch but I smiled reassuring him that it was fine.

"But if you don't mind me asking, what's got you thinking so much?" I asked and he blinked before giving me a vague reply but it hurt that he was lying. And why the heck did that hurt so much? Why did it even matter?

"Have you started packing for our trip to London next month?" I asked and he blinked surprised at my question, "you do know you're also invited right?"

"I am?" He asked and I nodded with a smile.

"Of course you are, and so are your friends." I stated and he raised a brow. "My dad manged to get tickets for us all to go see them."

"You didn't have to do that." He said but I shook my head.

"It's a way of saying thank you for helping me a few weeks ago with you know," I said and he nodded.

"A simple thank you wou—" he was cut off by the teacher stepping out and crossing her arms.

"Are you going to join us or are you going to stand out here the entire class?" Mrs. Gabriel questioned with a raised brow and we both walked into her class while apologizing before heading to our seats. Mac and Andrew raised their brows as we sat down but before I could say anything, Mrs. Gabriel interrupted me as she began the lecture.

This was going to be a long hour.