The Help - Part 2 (F)

Miss Peregrine was guarded over the Ymbrybe council's decisions. She wasn't angry that Y/N was here, it wasn't her fault she was here after all.

"Thank you," Miss Peregrine said as Y/N passed her the mug as she had the day before. They stood in silence, both contemplating different things, but both aware of the comfortability they had together. It unsettled the Ymbryne as she didn't think she could be comfortable around a stranger, not when the peculiar world has been at war since she could remember. And yet here they were.

"Would you like me to wear the blindfold?" She just looked at Y/N. It keeps throwing her off that she wears different things every day, she was so used to everyone else having the same outfit again and again. A knee-length, deep red, A line skirt, a white shirt with a long, pointed collar, rolled sleeves and a dark green, fitted waistcoat. She really couldn't fault it, though wondered if she took so much care in how she presented herself, allowing others to see who she is as she can see who they truly are. "Alma?"

Y/N snapped her out of her brain, causing her to start slightly. "Uhh... It doesn't bother me, but I don't know about the children..." She replied honestly.

Y/N peered at her thoughtfully. "Alright," she said, pulling her blindfold out anyway, having made up her mind. "Would you like me to help with breakfast once more?"

"That would be lovely," Alma replied, watching as Y/N moved to retrieve the aprons. She took one last sip of her tea before she went into the cooking zone. Before Alma could even say anything, Y/N was mixing ingridients together into what looked like pastry. She rolled, folded and re rolled and folded and re rolled until many many layers were formed. Long triangles were cut and also rolled and the croissants were placed into the preheated oven. She looked to Alma to see her once again chopping many varieties of fruit, but also carefully retreating butter and jam from the cupboard.

They waited, making small talk, for the croissants to be finished cooking. The first few children came down the stairs, groggily wondering what it was that was in the oven, asking lots and lots of questions, their curiousness getting the better of them. The two adults thought it was one of the most wholesome things they'd ever seen. Alma had only seen Croissants once or twice in her life, being something that they couldn't afford in and between the two wars.

When Y/N pulled them out the oven, feeling the heat on her face and the smell waft through the house. She placed them on the stove top, allowing them to cook a little before removing them from the baking sheet and placing them in a large pile on a service dish. She picked it up and turned to see Alma looking at her, but she neglected to comment on it, sweeping past her and into the dining room, placing the platter on the huge table. She did enough for everyone to have at least two each.

"They smell incredible," Olive said brightly as she entered the room, taking her seat and sitting in front of them. Emma also ran into the room, as quickly as her heavy shoes allowed, and strapped herself in, ready to have some food. Within the next five minutes, the smell had coaxed all the children from their slumber and they were all feasting and wolfing their breakfasts down.

"Thank you," Alma said quitely, just so Y/N could hear.

"No problem, I love cooking," Y/N responded. "I wanted to become a Pâtissier at one point, I got really good too."

"What prevented you?" Alma looked up at Y/N, frowning a little.

"They didn't trust a blind person in the kitchen," Y/N shrugged, and from a non-peculiar standpoint she could see why, but it certainly was a shame.

"If it's any consolation," Alma said, looking directly at her. "I've never tasted something so amazing in my life..."

"Thank you," Y/N grinned, happy to see not only the children happy and excited but also Alma.