Chapter 17

The next morning, a delicious smell woke Maude up. She got up with bleary eyes and an empty head. She reflexively flexed her wrist, since it had been cramping the night before. Then she remembered yesterday's events and quickly looked towards where Allen was supposed to be.

But the side of the bed was empty.

Did he leave somewhere? she thought with furrowed brows. Turns out he could move after all? The sound of pots and pans caught her attention. She stepped out of her room, before running back. Morning breath is real. I can't let anyone see me like this. After freshening up, she came out once more.

The sounds ended up leading her to the kitchen, where Maude stood and stared at Allen. He busied around the kitchen, like yesterday never happened.

All it took was a night's rest?  She slipped into one of the chairs. "You're up early."

"Morning. How do you feel?" he asked before pushing a glass of orange juice her way.

She accepted the glass and took a sip. "Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" She searched his face for something off but he looked completely fine.

Maude sighed. Seems like he really got better.

Sensing her confusion, he flipped a pancake before turning his attention to her. "I don't know if Helen told you, but I'm the type to get sick for a little and then get better in no time. But I do apologize for burdening you yesterday."

Passing out is considered only a little sick? She looked up, only to meet his warm eyes. Maude choked on her drink.

Allen calmly handed her a napkin, which she accepted.

"Don't worry, you're fine. It's something I should do. After all, aren't we close friends?" Despite saying this, she pursed her lips and skeptically gauged what he'd say next.

Allen's face fell slightly. "Just friends?" he muttered to himself.

Friends...You want to change that, right? Maude mentally guided him and scrutinized his expression, but he got distracted by a burning pancake. What's with the pancake ruining the moment? She angrily gulped down her orange juice and left to change.

"Actually, Maud—" Allen stopped when he saw that she was gone.

Within an instant, she reappeared. "Yes?" There was hope in her voice.

Aww... she's so cute. He remembered what he wanted to say and cleared his throat. "Right. Breakfast is ready. Come and eat."

"Oh. I appreciate that." Like a deflated balloon, Maude went over and started eating. Throughout the whole time, she was occupied with her thoughts. Seems like nothing's going to happen unless I take action myself. Should I start leaving subtle hints? She stopped, surprised at her own thoughts. Wait. Why would I even care when it's just a crush?

Then she corrected herself. No. It's true. I think I like him, so why shouldn't I be proactive? Otherwise, with his foolish personality some girl could trick him without him knowing.

She clenched a fist. I'm not just doing this for myself. It's for all of humanity...but mostly myself. With courage in her mind and warm pancakes in her belly, Maude made plans. This is the 21st century. Nobody cares if the girl is first to confess. But before I do that, I need to make him fall for me.

Thinking of this, she glanced scrutinizingly at Allen.

He was obliviously eating while enjoying her presence.