Chapter 14 - Heather Lavender

"More to the left Tommy!" Maude exclaimed while video calling and examining the condition of her shop. "I want to see both the succulents and the sign at the same time!"

The boy did as she asked, switching hands when they got tired. "Is that all? I don't want grammy to get mad because I stole her phone..."

Maude rolled her eyes. I've been too soft on him lately? "It's not stealing, it's borrowing. You can put the phone back after I'm done."

"Anyway," Tommy itched his head, "our whole neighborhood's been watching you on the tv, you know. You're kind of famous!"

No response.

"Grammy was talking about there being a fan condensation in your honor today! Can you imagine how cold it'll be?!"

Fan condensation? Oh. Maude lifted her brows. "You mean a fan convention?"
"Yeah, that's what I said."

The screen froze, forcing Maude to see the image of him picking his nose. Disgusted, she put away her magnifying glass. "That's enough for today."

"I should get paid for this," he said. "Perhaps three Snickers?" The screen unfroze just as Tommy accidentally dropped the phone and fumbled to get it.

Maude looked at him condescendingly. I'm never having a boy. Only a girl...maybe. She quickly hung up before he negotiated a price. There's actually a fan convention? ...I have fans!?

She searched it up and indeed, Tommy didn't lie.

Both Helen and Allen are busy, so I can't bother them. Everyone else is gone. I'll go see what it's all about.

After letting Allen know where she was going, Maude skipped doing her makeup and rolled out of bed. Nobody will recognize me anyway.

Half an hour later, Maude walked inside a large building, taking in the passing sights. Big flatscreen TVs were placed everywhere, playing clipped footage of her from the competition.

Nearly 90% of all the people were dressed in her usual getup: black outfit, long black hair, and thick makeup.

Is this normal? Everyone seemed to be happy, so she figured it wasn't unusual. As Maude neared the booth area, a certain one caught her ear. As if to confirm her thoughts, a familiar voice rang out from inside. Maude followed it.

It was Donald, dressed in a white uniform.

He was standing on top of a desk, ignoring the dirty looks that the owner gave him. "That's right!" he exclaimed. "I get paid to stand next to and talk to my idol! What about you?"

People murmured from jealousy. Obviously no one else had the same opportunity.

Donald smirked, ready to brag some more. But before he had the chance, somebody yanked him down.
The head of the security team held Donald by the collar, obviously angry. "What did I tell you about slacking off on the job?! You get paid to be alert and on the lookout, not to sit around and run your mouth!"

After seeing the flouncing braggart get taken away in such a manner, the crowd's mood significantly improved.

Maude shook her head in wonder. Just how many jobs does that guy have? There was no time to recover. Immediately afterwards, more noise was heard.

A crowd of well-dressed people entered, attracting everyone's attention with their flashy act.

"Ugh, here come the Perennials," someone groaned. Despite this, people still stood around and ate popcorn as if watching a good show.