Chapter 2 - Lilacs

For a moment, neither of them moved. Then four locks slid and the door opened. Maude glared at the male in front of her, annoyed she had to crane her neck to meet his gaze. The moon outside was thin, so the only light source was the porch light. "What did you say?"

Allen blinked slowly, thinking about the question. After a pause, he repeated himself. "I said I brought cookies. As a gift."

Maude stared at him. Her eyes drifted over to the plate in his hands. He didn't lie. Silver wrapped chocolates decorated the plate, along with freshly baked cookies. The aroma spread through the air but neither was interested.

"No thanks," Maude said, moving to close the door immediately. To her surprise, it was blocked by the tip of a white sneaker. She looked at him. "Are you asking for a crushed foot?"

Allen ignored her. "Are you sure you don't want them?" he said, testing her bottom line.

"Yes. Bye." She moved to close the door, struggling against his foot. Maude pursed her lips, anger rising. "Get. Your. Foot. Out. Now."

So this is what she reacts like? Huh. Finding her expression interesting, Allen stood his ground. "I'm not letting you close the door until you take the plate."

She stopped forcing the door. "Did Helen put you up to this?"

After some consideration, he determined that the information wasn't a secret. "Yes." His expression never changed even though Maude's gaze wanted to torch him alive.

She gripped the metal bat harder, hand hidden behind the door. Forced to listen, Maude's expression got darker as time went on.

"She said there's a message in one of the chocolates," Allen shifted the plate to his other hand, "and that I can't return until you take it."

Maude squinted suspiciously and wrinkled her nose. "Must be poisoned if it's from Helen, the old hag..." she muttered.

Allen's brows raised. Old hag? Did I hear her right? Just what kind of relationship do these two have?

"Fine. I'll take it." Taking advantage that Allen's foot was gone, Maude grabbed the plate and slammed the door. But before heading to the kitchen, she turned off the porch light, leaving the pondering male in the dark.

Maude smirked. I'm not wasting money on someone like him.

Allen stood a bit longer before going back, contemplating with narrowed eyes. This was the first time he met someone so young acting so old. Interesting... After hanging up his jacket, Allen made his way to the couch.

Helen, the old hag, sat there and peeped at the window through binoculars. A bowl of half-eaten popcorn lay close by.

She acknowledged his presence with a curt nod. "Did you do as I asked, dear?" She cleared a spot and motioned him to come closer.

"I did," he said and sat down. After remembering the plate of cookies and his instructions he asked, "What did you write?" Allen looked outside the window, trying to see what Helen was looking at so intently. A figure moved about in the house next to them. "Isn't that...?"

"That withered young crone? That's correct. Here, don't harm your vision. Use these," Helen said and handed him a pair of binoculars. When he hesitated, she urged him, saying, "Hurry or we'll miss the show!"

Allen sighed, before taking them. They were large and heavy, no doubt made of high quality.

As they watched, Helen inserted comments ever so often, almost like they were watching a documentary. "Tsk. As expected," she muttered.