Chapter 9 - Alstroemeria

"It's for you," Maude said lazily. But her body language betrayed her. She was curious to see who it was.

"It's not for me either," Allen said. He went to the door and opened it.

A woman stood, smoothing her bouncy hair down. Seeing the door had opened, she quickly put on a tired smile. "Good morning. My name is Maya Hemmons and I'm the director's assistant. Pleasure to meet you." She held out a hand.

Allen shook it. "The pleasure's all mine, Miss Hemmons. I'm Allen and that's Maude peeking out of the door." The sight of Maude quickly ducking behind the wall was seen.

The woman nodded. "Please call me Maya." Then she checked her clipboard. "Contestants number five and six, right?"

"That's us."

"Well it's great to see you in person, Allen."

"May I ask what brings you here?" he asked with his signature smile.

Maya slightly paused, dazzled by his smile. Then she quickly shook her head, loose curls bouncing with the movement. No more thoughts. He's taken. "All the contestants are called down for breakfast and introductions. Then all the pairs are to attend a mandatory couple photoshoot."

Hearing the words mandatory, Maude accidentally showed herself. "What photoshoot? I wasn't notified of this."

Allen looked at her. "You're the one who refused to read the program's pamphlet."

Maude paused. Now that she thought about it, he did try to give her a pile of papers to read, but she refused. "Oh. So it was mentioned there?"

"Yes. All information on missions and competition rounds was written there. Did you want to read it?" he asked.

Maude dismissed the idea with a wave of her hand. For me to do extra work? No way. "I'll just let you take care of everything." She smacked him.

Maya's tired eyes opened a little wider. Her gaze rested on Maude's hand that was on Allen's arm. "You two are too sweet. It goes to show how much you really trust him," she said, envy evident in her tone. "When will I find the one for me..." she muttered.

Maude's eyelid twitched. How did my laziness turn into some kind of "trust"? Is she blind? She drew back her hand. "We'll be there soon," she said, shooing Maya away.

But even that was interpreted the wrong way.

"Alright, then I'll see you both there." Maya winked at Maude. "I totally understand."

I don't think you do... Maude's stoneface cracked. Why is she looking at me like that?

Allen hid a smile behind a cough and looked at Maude. Ah...to be young and innocent, he thought, although he himself was merely three years older.

After Maya left, Allen went back inside. He busied himself while waiting for Maude to finish changing. After a few minutes, she came out with a new outfit and a fresh layer of more scary makeup.

Seeing her reminded Allen of her real appearance. He coughed a little, surprised her image was still so vivid in his mind. "Ready? Let's go."

Maude followed behind, wondering why his ears were so red. Is he cold?

As they stepped into an elevator, Allen thought of something. "Maude, what do you want our relationship backstory to be?"

"What do you mean?"