𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟸

There was an hour-long break before the pinnacle match – just long enough for players to cram lunch into their faces and rest for a precious few minutes before their coaches pulled them into new strategies during the time the court was cleaned.

Momoi stood, gesturing for Kise to join her.

"Why don't you two wait here and Ki-chan and I will go get some snacks."

Kise gaped and tried to protest, but Kuroko's nod of agreement quickly silenced the blonde, and the two more extravagant members of their group left.

"How are you feeling right now?"

Kuroko turned towards Kasamatsu, his eyes as eerily blank as the day they first met. The third year was familiar enough to know that the gaze directed at him was a carefully curated mask of indifference, but every fiber of his being told him that the Phantom should have been worried.

Seirin was strong before they faced Kaijo. Even now, without a Miracle, they proved they were more than strong enough to take on and beat one of the three kings. He didn't know much about the Miracle shooting guard, but Kuroko might be fighting a losing battle depending on whatever it was Kise and Momoi had been working on with them.

"I am as resigned as I always am, Kasamatsu-san.

The Miracles have done what they want for as long as I've known them. I trust Momoi to have kept the playing field as even as possible, but I cannot say it isn't concerning to be against her. If I am honest, I am disappointed that she has entertained Kise so far, but I cannot be mad. I have made excuses for worse behavior than this."

Kasamatsu frowned.

"And your certain you can't back out? It's not like you signed a contract or anything."

Kuroko shook his head.

"As skewed as it may sound, the Generation of Miracles stands by their words. There has only been one incidence where they have not and he is not part of this. This is a risk I will take for just a little bit of peace."

But are you at peace, Kuroko? You're alone. There's only so much having one friend can do when you're more than adamant to stick to a way of life where you're unseen and unhappy. Is it worth it to throw away what your life could be like for a bit of silence?

"If I am truly unhappy, Kasamatsu-san, you will be able to tell. The others made sure that I knew my displeasure and pettiness is the most expressive that I tend to be. I've been told I can be quite terrifying."

Kasamatsu rose a questioning eyebrow, uncertain if Kuroko was being dramatic or literal. It was difficult to imagine Kuroko doing much more than stare into a person's soul with his trademark blank expression.

Kasamatsu moved into Kise's seat, asking about the last book Kuroko had been reading to distract them both from the match to come. When Kise and Momoi returned with food and drinks, the blonde whined and gently hit his captain's shoulder in protest before Momoi calmed the dramatic blonde and pulled him to the side. She sent a small, knowing smile at the black-haired teen that sent a shock of fear down his spine.

*

The Shuutoku locker room felt eerily quiet to Takao. The coach and upperclassmen had gone through their strategies and seemed to be on the same page with Midorima nodding along, but his unwilling companion said nothing at all during the briefing and seemed to be almost fidgeting with the bandages on his hands.

Takao leaned into the Miracle's space and whispered.

"Shin-chan, what's wrong? You'd normally have spouted out at least one or two sentences about how you 'cannot possibly lose'. You sick or something?"