𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟶

Outside of the Kaijo gym, two students wearing Shuutoku uniforms were bickering with each other.

"I can't believe you just ditched me in traffic, Shin-chan!"

"You were going too slow."

"If you were so worried about time, then we should have just walked! You don't just leave your friends behind!"

If Takao had been a less observant man, he would have missed the way that Midorima's arms jerked at his words. Why was that? Did he actually feel some remorse for the way the miracles treated the phantom? He should.

Takao was a shadow in his own right – or at least learning how to be one for Shin-chan – and he was sure he didn't have what it took to be the mythical sixth man. To go so unnoticed that, even while playing in every single match, no one believed you existed? To only have a coach, a manager, and five conceited prodigies recognize you for something you're passionate about? To be left behind when those very people decided teamwork was beneath them?

It would've broken a lesser man much sooner than right at the end of their third national tournament. He didn't blame this Kuroko person for giving up. Takao would've left before they finished their second year.

Midorima attempted to cover up his unusual movement by swapping his porcelain frog into his other hand, coughing into his now free fist, and pushing his glasses up.

"Did you at least see that ex-teammate of yours you were so worried about?"

Midorima sent a threatening glare to his point guard. Takao was always too comfortable around him, but the miracle wasn't going to fight. He wasn't dumb enough to reject the reality that he was aloof and hard to get along with. All of the miracles were difficult – though the glasses-wearing teen would fight anyone who said that he was anything like Murasakibara or Aomine.

The green-haired boy sighed. He might as well answer. Takao wasn't Kuroko, but the point guard was the closest person he had met like the shadow and Midorima wasn't going to make the same mistake of pushing and pushing and ignoring reality until he lost another friend.

"No. It seems Kise was not exaggerating this time. However, it appears our old manager has already pulled together a plan. I would be interfering if I tried to assist right now."

Takao's brows furrowed in frustration. He peddled for what felt like hours to be left alone with an empty cart in traffic and now that he finally caught up to the tsundere, the stubborn shooter decided he wasn't even going to do anything.

"So what are we going to do next?"

"We?"

"Well yeah? You dragged me all the way out here and the reality of this old teammate of yours is sad, so I'll help. I already told you that you're stuck with me."

Midorima turned and started walking before he could show any sign that the stupid, sentimental words affected him. He'd commend Takao for being willing to put up with him, but he drew the line at being openly readable.

"We simply do everything we can to win until Momoi decides it is time to contact me. I'm sure she must have seen us with how loud you were when you saw me."

"Hey! It's not my fault that you're a jerk who leaves his friends behind in traffic!"

Takao would let Midorima think that he hid that attempt to hide his stunned expression for today – it was the first time that the grey-eyed boy had seen the taller react so much, even if half of it was to hide his true emotions.

Maybe that was why he stayed. His hawk eye was useful for more than the court and he had been able to see from the start just the kind of listless and purposeful attempts the arrogant boy used to try and distance himself from the team.