⤷ x. The Shift

〡〡〡〡〡✦〡〡〡〡〡
〡〡〡〡✦ ✦〡〡〡〡
〡〡〡✦ ✦〡〡〡
〡〡✦ ✦〡〡
〡✦ ✦〡
✦ ✦

Chapter Ten

The Shift

    Oliver felt something had to have happened to her when he saw Sara Lin standing alone in the corridor of Hogwarts. There was a faraway look etched onto her face which wasn't something expected. After all, she was always up to no good, so the mischievous grin was typical, especially if Patrick was with her. He had two options; either ignore her and allow her to think in peace or try to provide some comfort, it was obvious which choice he took. 

He was slightly annoyed that she kept repeating the fact that he was younger, if he was so much younger why was he the one tutoring her or why was he the one providing advice to his older brother about the future? Why was he the one who his mother continuously sought out in order to receive advice? There was a certain level of maturity he had reached before he hit 10 due to his mother's habits toward men. Joe helped slow down the process, but there was only so much his brother could do to prevent Oliver from growing up at a quickened rate. 

Nonetheless, as he and Sara Lin walked towards his table, he realized she kept a clear distance between them. Ever since his accident, he noticed that she kept a good length between them, that and her repetitive mention of their age difference. There was an idea as to why she was doing this but he told himself that he wouldn't bring it up until he was sure she was comfortable with him. Shaking off the thoughts, he decided to gently pull her sleeve towards the seats beside Rose, purposely ignoring the gaze of the blonde witch. 

"Well, this was expected." Rose mumbled as she looked back down to continue reading her book without sparing the two a second glance. As much as he wanted to question the comment, he decided not to. 

"Sara Lin, decided to hang out with the better house didja?" Ronnie, one of the seekers for the team asked as he scarfed down a muffin. 

"She would have never gotten into the house anyways, half witches don't belong here."  One of the boys, Connor, spoke up but Oliver said nothing. There was a beat of silence until he laughed along with the rest of the team. Rose just sighed and flipped a page. "I'm kidding Sara Lin - my father would kill me if I was that prejudice against half witches."  He saw her relax a bit and laugh along with him.

"For a second I thought you were serious." She spoke up carefully. 

"Did ya? If I was, Oliver would have my head." Which was true, but he knew better than to take everything Connor said seriously. The second-year wizard was far too goofy to say anything truly hurtful. 

"Connor, don't you have food  to finish?" Oliver spoke up, the brown-haired boy winked and continued on with his lunch. Sara Lin looked at him as the rest of the table carried on with their conversation. 

"Is that true? "

"Is what true?" 

"You'd protect me?" There was a teasing tone laced within the question, but he wasn't going to push it by being risky. 

"Depends I suppose." A soft punch to the arm is what he received, but seeing her grin was more than enough for him to know that he did lighten up her mood. 

Just a short update to let you guys know that I have not given up on this story. 

The next chapter will be longer and will be up by next week.