⤷ vii. The Aftermath

Oliver's Perspective

〡〡〡〡〡✦〡〡〡〡〡
〡〡〡〡✦ ✦〡〡〡〡
〡〡〡✦ ✦〡〡〡
〡〡✦ ✦〡〡
〡✦ ✦〡
✦ ✦

CHAPTER SEVEN

The Aftermath

                     Oliver recalled the way Skyler had described how he looked when he fell off his broom the first time during a match. It was as if he was accepting it as if he was expecting the impact. He didn't want to join the team, after that accident, he decided against it. Instead, he gave his all to his studies and to his school work. Yet when he joined Hogwarts, he received a letter from his mom saying that she was happy he decided to focus on his studies. He joined the team out of spite, it was a force that drew him to it. But as he saw the storm he was reminded of Sara Lin's warning about how the storms were rough. 

His grip on his broom tightened and it was at that moment he wished he could just listen to his mixtape or talk with his friends from Ilvermony. He didn't even know what he was doing, it felt as though his body was moving on its own. As if it knew where to lead him. It was when the lightning struck that Oliver felt it. Genuine fear

He couldn't do anything, he felt helpless, and it was a feeling he never wanted to feel again. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

He opened his eyes to see his brother. Immediately he was brought into a tight hug, sometimes Joe reminded him of a Golden retriever. He saw Rose behind with Sara Lin's cousin beside Joe. The hospital wing was warm, something that was foreign to Oliver. 

"Thank Merlin you're ok." Joe's voice was muffled but as he pulled away he noticed the worry etched into his face. "Mom was informed of what happened, so just be warned." 

"Thanks for the heads up." He didn't recognize his own voice but it was at that moment he noticed the Nurse, Madam Joy. She let out a relieved sigh and handed him a cup. He drank the potion. It was disgusting but he knew it was for his own good.

"If not for that Gryffindor you would have been seriously injured, I always tell the Professors that letting the children play in this weather is dangerous. The other player woke up yesterday but you were the closest to the strike so it's not surprising you needed more rest." He only focused on the word, Gryffindor. He looked at Joe who nodded in agreement, he then allowed Madam Joy to lead him to her desk to prescribe something. Vicky trailing behind him in concern, Rose stepped closer. 

"Are you ok?" She asked, her Prefect badge shined sightly in the room's light, he didn't need his glasses to see that. 

"What exactly happened?" He asked as he sat up, rubbing his head. He then flinched as he touched his temple, he felt bandages. 

"Lightening got a bit too close to you and Wood when you both were racing for the snitch. Professor Clark managed to prevent Matthias, the other seeker, from falling but a student got you," She didn't look annoyed nor surprised. "According to a Gryffindor Prefect, Sara Lin used a spell to prevent your fall." Oliver always knew the girl was smart, but for her to use a spell on such quick notice was new. Rose then bid him goodbye and left the room. 

Joe walked over and rustled Oliver's hair, he gave his brother an annoyed stare.

"I was worried about you, I can't lose you again." He spoke up quietly. Vicky was still chatting with Madam Joy in the far left of the room, he noticed Joe's worried expression. 

"Don't worry, I'm fine." 

"What if Sara Lin hadn't been quick Oliver? What if you would have gotten hurt again?" Joe responded and Oliver had no response to that. "I think it's time you talk to mom."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Oliver did not have a crush. He was merely wondering why Sara Lin was avoiding him like a plague. He went to her favorite spot in the library and found two kids snogging as if their life depended on it. He walked with his brother to his class and still could not find her, he refused to ask his brother and his friends about her whereabouts. He wasn't that desperate. 

The air was cool against his face as he walked outside of the south side of the school, it was then he noticed a girl underneath a tree. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he walked over. She was holding some sort of journal, unaware of his presence. He stood over her seated figure, she was still unaware.

"Is there a reason as to why you're avoiding me, Sara Lin?" He spoke up, the red-haired Gryffindor turned around quickly, shutting whatever she was reading. Tears were pooled in her eyes and he immediately felt awkward. He was never good at comforting people. The girl quickly turned around and rubbed at her face as if she could hide the fact that she was crying. He hesitated but sat beside her, resting his arm on his legs, the Great Lake. The air was still chilly, but the lake remained untouched. Her sniffles stopped. 

"I wasn't avoiding you," She spoke up, breaking the silence. Oliver glanced at her with a pointed look. Her eyes were puffy and she cleared her throat. "On purpose. I wasn't avoiding you on purpose." He turned to face the lake again. 

"I've been wanting to say thanks. But you did a good  job at avoiding me, so I haven't had the time to say it." He responded. The two turned around at the same time, locking eyes. Curiosity overruled any numbness he had felt before. Sara Lin then turned scarlet and quickly avoided eye contact, exaggerating with her hands.

"It was nothing, just a small spell-" He grabbed one arm gently preventing her movement and made her face him, once more the two locked eyes.

"It was not nothing, you prevented me from getting hurt, Sara Lin." She simply nodded quietly and accepted it. Or at least it looked like it because she didn't argue after that. Oliver noticed something about the girl over the month they've known each other, despite her loud remarks something was off. Whether it was her zoning out in the mess hall or the way she stood up late on the brink of tears in the library. 

"Have you ever felt like you're a disappointment?" The question was loud. Images of the arguments back home flashed through his mind, he refused to meet the gaze he felt on the side of his head before nodding.

"Before I transferred here, I did." It was the truth. Something he couldn't even speak to Joe about, something he held in and refused to release. 

"When you fell, it reminded me of these nightmares I had back home. My mom falling and I'm watching from a safe distance. Whenever I woke up, the feeling stuck with me." She replied softly. Oliver looked over at her, she brought her legs up to her chin and was simply in a daze.

"Have you told anyone about that feeling?"

"No"

"You should"

"Have you told anyone?" His silence answered the question for her and she simply nodded. "Sometimes holding it in is the only option we have, but right now, I feel lighter. So thank you, subway boy." The two met each other's gaze, a small smile on her lips as their eyes continued to linger on each other. 

"No problem, Sara Lin"