Chapter 20

Anis

I watched Alisha as she crossed the driveway and walked towards the front door of her house. Her steps were hurried as she tried to draw distance between herself and me, which was rather amusing to watch. She was really something when it came to caress.  A few minutes ago, I had witnessed surprise in her eyes as well as the smoldering fire in their depth.  She was surprised at what I had done. The way she looked at me told me that and then her surprise was replaced by a fire that threatened to burn me alive. In that moment, I realized that I wanted to be burned by her but then she blinked, and in her place, the serene and calm Alisha has returned. She kept her emotions well-hidden, I realized. I was sure that she also felt the same things I felt about her. I really wanted to test this theory on her. I waited till she was inside the door and then started my car and reversed, on my way back home.

Soft music played in the car as I drove towards home, with my mind on Alisha. She was so refreshing fresh in her responses towards me. I loved that about her. There was nothing fake or made up in her place. I had just kissed her hand and her response amused me. She looked so beautiful that I couldn't stop myself from kissing her hand. People would say that the accident took her beauty from her but I would disagree because despite being injured, she had a charisma around her that beckoned the other person to listen to her. For me, she was the most beautiful girl in the world. 

An idea struck me at that moment and I picked up my cell phone. First, I called Alisha's parents and briefed her dad about my plan and then I called my brat of a sister.

"Maira!" I breathed my sister's name in the phone.

"Yes, brother?" She said with mock-resignation.

"One last favor please." I grinned into the cell phone. I knew she was going to make this tough for me and she didn't disappoint me.

"What will I get out of it?" She asked me. I grinned because I knew what I was going to offer her this time. I knew that she was mooning after the new iPhone 6 and I'd been considering buying it for her. She would definitely do this favor for me if I promised to get her one.

"Of course, iPhone 6, what else." I said and heard her whoop loudly in the room.

"Well, tell me what do I need to do?" She asked me.

"Bring Alisha to the airport in two hours from now. Use the Rawal Lounge, as it is private. I will arrange your entrance and all. Don't be late, Maira."

"I won't be."

"And blindfold her, tell her it's a surprise. I will get the things set at the security so that they don't hinder you."

"Where are you planning to go, brother?" she asked as an afterthought.

"I'm taking Alisha to Canada." I said and then replaced the phone in the glove compartment of the car. I anticipated the look on Alisha's face when she would find out where I was taking her. She would be mad as hell and that's what I wanted to see.  I wanted to see her anger. I wanted to see the real Alisha whom I had met almost three years ago with Shahmir and Sadaf. I would get her back at any cost.

I picked up my cell phone and dialed another number. I waited while the call went through and then it was attended.

"Hello Farhan!"

"Anis! Long time, man. Where have you been?" The cheery voice of my good friend, Farhan, brought a smile to my face.

"Here and there, you know. I've been busy with the business and all. You tell, how's it going?"

I knew Farhan since I was student in UCLA where he was studying chemical engineering with me. We had graduated together and then he had returned to Pakistan. On his return, he had given the Central Superior Services (CSS) exams and now he was working in the Custom Department.

"Nothing is new with me, just work and all. These days I'm posted in the Customs Department and have been having quiet a workload."

"Awesome. I need to ask a favor from you, mate. I know it's on a short notice but I was hoping you can help me out with it." I said as I reined the car towards home and parked in the garage.

"Sure."

"I need to board my private plane in an hour and I'm having a friend on board through the Rawal Lounge. As all this is a surprise, can you do me this favor that she goes through the security with ease and it doesn't cause hindrance to our plan?"

"Sure."

"She will be blindfolded so please make sure she isn't asked many questions and all. You know how the security officials can be."

"Don't worry about it, mate. I'll handle it. After all, what are friends for." I laughed. Of course, he owed me this favor since our university days. I knew he wouldn't refuse to help me. Once I had taken care of all the preparations, I got out of the car and walked inside. Mom had already packed my luggage for the trip as I had called her and told her to. Now, Alisha's parents needed to be told about the trip, which I was sure that Maira had already done. She was efficient when it came to carrying out my orders to perfection I knew. I picked up my luggage from the bed and bid mom and dad goodbye. I had to be at the airport before Maira left with Alisha.

I called the driver from the driver's quarters to drop me at the airport as I didn't want to leave my car at the airport. There were so many news and reports about thefts like these, so this was a better option for me.

I had just left home when my cell phone beeped.

Got her. On our way to the airport.

I responded with an "Ok."

***