CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

-Tatuyanna Torrono >

Today had to be the cloudiest month in December. Storm clouds were everywhere, it looked like it would rain any minute now. As if on queue, a loud sound of thunder cracked, the image of lightning hidden within the clouds. 

I stood on a spot facing everyone and the burial ground and I couldn't even begin to count the number of people there. What I did know for certain is that every single one of my father's men was here. They lined up on the sides of his burial ground, some in groups and equiped as they secured the perimeter of my father's private burial ground.

As the first droplets of rain fell, an umbrella shadowed the ground below me. 

I meet teal eyes. "Paolo." I give him a small, appreciative smile. "I have a coat in the car in case you gets cold. Sicily can get cold during these humid weathers." He gestures toward the SUV parked in the street. "Thank you, but I'm fine for now." 

A look down. "Hey, Paolo? How did you meet my father?" I ask, my eyes glued to the dirt turning into wet soil. "The late capo hit me with his car somewhere in Palermo. Since he figured out my family lived on the less fortunate side, he paid for my injuries." I hear him huff a silent laugh.

"I was 17. He wanted to hire me and continue to help my family get by, but my family refused. The capo ended up threatening my family. Spoke about how they'll suffer if they didn't accept his money." 

I scoff. "Unbelievable," I murmur. He just went around doing the right things in the most bizarre ways. "Most of us stood with him till the very end because of our respect for him not because we feared him." He completes, and I couldn't be more proud yet filled with more anguish at the same time. 

The casket isn't here yet and I can't fathom the fact that this is truly and physically happening. I look around and notice people I have never met. I notice a group of people. Their attire's as black as it can get with umbrellas of their own. 

A familiar figure walks up to me with an older couple. "Hey, hun." Marcela opens her arms and envelopes me. We've known each other for less than two years, yet here she is, being here for me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate her for this, but I can't seem to trust her fully.

My family came forth and apologized to me, but I can't help wait for the 'sike' and wait for them to stab me in the back. I realize I'm still kind of protective of myself.

"Thanks Marcela. These must be your parents." I politely smile at the people behind her. "Oh yes. Mama, papa, I want you to meet Tatuyanna Torrono, a close friend of mine."

Close?

The couple gives me a smile which does not reach their eyes. "You are a striking resemblance to your father. Nice to meet you." Mr. Morelli reaches out and shakes my hand.

"I get that alot. But I assure you, the main resemblance are my heterochromatic eyes." I purse my lips, avoiding their eyes.

Mrs. Morelli chuckles. "Well, yes. But the rest of your features are surely Nahita's. A gorgeous woman, might I add. I see her in you." She grasps my hands, squeezing them while my breath hitched in my throat.

I slowly meet her eyes. "You knew my mom?" I ask, shock laced in my voice. "I did."

Then would she know if she's alive? The question was about to be spoken out of my head before she spoke before me. "Her circumstances were such a tragedy. I really hope you heal from this. Losing both your parents somehow doesn't happen to most of our bosses." Her grey eyes convey sympathy as she releases my hands, saying her goodbyes and leaving with her family.