Dance

Jensoo, age 13, Grade 4 & 8

••••••••••

"So...." Rosie sat down at the lunch table with her tray. "Who are you taking to the dance?"

I sighed. The end of the year dance was coming up and it would be the last hurrah before high school. It was only for 8th graders so our dates had to be the same age too.

Lisa wiggled her eyebrows suggestively and blankly stared at Kai behind me. "I know Kai has been trying to ask you out."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't want to go out with a guy."

Both of them widened their eyes but I didn't notice and ate my food until they asked, "Are you...gay?"

I blushed and darted my eyes up at them. "What?! No! I just—wait a minute! You took that sentence from one place to another place very far! I meant I just want to hang out with my friends! Not go out with a guy!"

"I guess there goes my chance."

I didn't think I could blush more until I turned around and found Kai wearing his usual dark jeans and under armor shirt. He ran a hand through his hair with an embarrassed smile.

I gave him my chagrined smile and said, "Sorry."

He shook his head and waved bye.

I turned back to Lisa and Rosie who had their jaw open.

Lisa sputtered out, "You just turned down one of the hottest guys in the grade!"

I shrugged before asking, "We're allowed to bring people outside of school right?"

Rosie nodded but stared awkwardly at Lisa who was chewing her food. A tiny pink color covering her cheeks.

I bit back a smile and snapped my fingers. Rosie looked back at me and cleared her throat. "Yeah...you can bring a guest."

I licked my lips in thought. "Will they let me bring Jisoo?"

Both of them stared at me before looking back.

Rosie leaned forward and asked, "Do you have feelings for Jisoo?"

Immediately, Jisoo's bright face thrown back in laughter came to mind and I vehemently shook my head. "No! What is up with you guys?! How come you both keep assuming I'm gay at every turn?! Are you both gay?!"

Rosie just blushed furiously while Lisa turned pink and started protesting.

"No, I'm not! I'm just asking because you turned down the hottest guy to take your best friend!"

I shrugged. "Jisoo's never been to a dance before. I mean...neither have I but...we've always done all of our firsts together. We drive to school together on our first day of each grade. We celebrate our birthdays together....it just...feels weird to do something without her for the first time."

Lisa sighed and dug into her food again. "Both of you are so much besties that it makes me gag." Rosie stared at me sweetly while smacking the back of Lisa's head.

"Ouch!"

Rosie turned to Lisa with a wide grin. "Sorry...not sorry!"

••••••••••

As usual, I made my way to Jisoo's house and rang the doorbell. Ms.Kim answered the door very quickly and said in relief, "Thank goodness you're here, Jennie!"

I looked at her in confusion. "Is everything alright, Ms.Kim?"

She shook her head. "I told my colleagues at work I would bake a pie...and it turns out that it's harder than it seems."