Not an ideal family dinner

We seated ourselves at the huge table. The dishes lay in front of us, filling the entire table. I wondered if I would have enough space to eat all those. 

"Enjoy your meal," His father said and we started eating. It was quiet for a while until his father spoke up.

"So, when is the big day?" I looked at him in confusion.

"W-What big day?" I asked in a low voice.

"It's obvious your marriage day. Did you forget about it or... do you not want to marry him?" Taeho said as he continued eating.

"Father, Y/n's been a bit nervous since she came here. I've fixed a date for it. You don't need to worry," He looked at me and smiled at me. I felt at ease as Taeyong was backing me up. But I never knew there was such a topic they talked about. 

"After marriage, I hope you know what to do Y/n," I was again in confusion.

"Haven't you talked about it to her, Taeyong?" He asked as he saw my expression.

"No father. I don't want to Y/n to do it,"

"What are you talking about?" 

"Once someone gets married to a member of our family, they'll have to quit their job and focus on the family. It's a family thing," Taeri said. 

"Quit my job?!" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes, it is necessary for you to quit your job. You'll have kids and take care of them and Taeyong,"

"It might sound rude Mr. Lee but I'm sorry, I can't quit my job. I worked hard to get where I am now and I can't just let everything go," I was trying to calm myself from bursting in anger. Taeyong squeezed my hand, calming me. 

"Yeobo, is it required to talk about that now? Moreover, they don't need to follow this tradition. We can't ask her to stop working, out of the blue just to look after the family. They can decide what they want to do with their life. Our blessings are all they need," His mother backed me up. I was glad I had someone to support my decision. 

"Mom's right. We're in the 21st century. There's nothing wrong with women working," Taeri added. 

"Father, let's talk about this some other time. Shall we enjoy the dinner?" Taeyong suggested and he gave a nod. We continued eating as other topics were discussed. 

I excused myself as I got a call from the hospital dean. 

Me: Hello, sir. I'm sorry about the uninformed leave.

Dean: Y/n, I understand about it. Taeyong spoke about it to me. As long as you are safe, that's all that matters. Anyway, I called you to ask when you'll be back to work. Dr. Kwak is unable to handle all the patients. Other doctors have their patients to check on as well.

Me: Taeyong did? Sir, I do want to get into the surgical room but my situation doesn't permit so. I'll let you know when I'll be coming back.

Dean: Please do. I'll cut the call then.

I let out a heavy sigh as he declined the call. I can't believe Taeyong spoke to the dean for me. My hands are desperate to work again but I have to understand Taeyong's worries as well. I turned to walk back but stopped as I saw Taeho walking towards me.

"Hey, sorry about my dad. He's still old school,"

"What do you want?" I asked ignoring his previous comment.

"I thought Taeyong would've talked about this to you. To our family, it's important to leave your previous life and live a new life with us. My mom was a ballet dancer. She had to quit it cause she had no choice,"