31. EXECUTION FOR A FRIEND

Krol and Lucianna stood back-to-back, each of them staring down their respective opponents, Des and Kristiel. Lucianna had suppressed her power, focusing on the cool breeze passing in front of the gates to Riosae's castle. She wondered where Riosae was and what was happening to Milo. She could only assume that Rivra would keep him safe for the time being. Breathing deep through her nostrils, she tossed her hair back and shot a smirk at her cousin.

"So, did the rest of the royal family get sick of you? Or are you trying to get on everyone's good side by getting rid of the problem child?"

Kristiel grunted, her eyes never leaving Lucianna's form. Yet the armored pirate stood with such a relaxed pose, as if she were about to lean up against a tree and take a nap. Lucianna drew herself to her full height, her lips flattening. She would need to finish this quickly, otherwise risk a repeat of what happened in training.

Behind her, Krol pounded his chest again, an animalistic growl emanating from his throat.

"I can't wait to crush you," he said to Des. "I've been itching to pay you back for the crap you pulled in Coalwatch!"

The lizard woman flicked her tongue. Despite her panic at being man-handled by Lucianna and her telekinetic powers, she exuded a calm confidence now. Krol remembered how she had used a poison mist to not only change Rivra's senses back on Coalwatch, but she also injured Lucianna pretty good. (I'm not a warrior. But...I couldn't let Lucianna face these two alone. I don't think I could face Milo or Rivra if I let something happen to their friend.) He clenched his fists and assumed a wide battle stance. He vaguely remembered the stance from his childhood training, which made him look a sculpted Greek wrestler.

Kristiel tilted her head, a cocky smile spreading across her lips. "Remember, Des! We only get money if Krol's brought back alive!"

Des smiled and licked her lips. "I'm aware. Don't rough up your cousin too badly, either. Wouldn't want all that power to leak out and level the galaxy."

Lucianna lunged forward, using a small amount of her power to grant her a speed and strength boost that brought her directly to Kristiel's façade. Her cousin's eyes widened. "Shit!"

Lucianna swung her fist, aiming for Kristiel's head, but her cousin threw up a barrier between them. Lucianna bounced against the barrier and skidded backward several feet, her heels slicing through the dirt as she dug them in.

Krol peeked back over his shoulder, and while he distracted himself, Des took off, ducking low as she sprinted full tilt toward Krol's legs. Her metal claws extended out, the razor edges glinting in the sun. Krol turned his gaze forward, his eyes narrowing. Whether it was instinct or the training, he side-stepped Des's speeding form. The lizard woman's eyes widened as she swung, her claws whistling as they sliced through the empty air. "I told you! Don't underestimate a Scrapster!"

He formed a club with his two meaty hands and slammed them down upon Des with full-force. But as his heavy fists plummeted toward their target, the slippery lizard woman shifted her body and skillfully dodged. His fists buried themselves in the ground, dirt shooting up, creating clouds of dust and clay. Krol coughed and waved a hand in front of his face, his teeth crunching on motes of dust as he clenched his jaw. Nearly a blur, Des zipped around him, dodging every stray punch or kick he launched at her. Her cackling reached Krol's ears even as she danced around him: "You weren't the only one trained by Mistress Riosae! Perhaps you're the one underestimating me?"

A deafening roar erupted from Krol's throat, and he swung wildly, nearly every one of his limbs becoming a deadly weapon of destruction. Boulders crumbled beneath his fists. The ground trembled and cracked with every thunderous stomp and kick that missed its mark. "Hold still, you snake!"