"You two are in danger, Ashlyn especially." Those words made me tighten my grip on my cellphone, to the point where I felt it crunch beneath my fingers.

"Apparently, Christian has amazing technical skills and has been been tapping into our telecommunications system. I haven't been able to contact you until the issue was fixed. I have reason to believe he's been doing this since he failed to kidnap her."

"He's tracking her moves isn't he." I said coldly, feeling rage simmer within me. Don't lash out. Don't lash out.

"Apparently so. He was the one in charge of bringing her to Jason and knowing him, he won't stop until his task is complete-"

"Why the fúck does he want her! She's mine goddamn it!" So much for not lashing out, I thought. I couldn't help it though. Task, she's in danger, I just need to know what to do so I can protect her. He sighed and paused for a long moment before he told me.

"Her blood. He wants her blood." I narrowed my eyes in confusion, her blood? Why on Earth would he kidnap her just for her blood?

"We aren't sure why, but we've speculated that there's something more mystical behind this. We found out that Jason has been contacting geneticists from his area who specialize in lycanthropy." He continued. I just stood there in silence, trying to process the new information. Everytime I tried to wrap my mind around it, I came to a dead end. All I could ask myself was why my Mate. Negative feelings swam within my conscious, maybe Blair was right.

No, not a damn chance that bítch was right.

Everything she had said to me was from a place of jealously, misplaced feelings, and spite.

"What should I do? I'll do anything." I brought my voice to a whisper as I cracked the door open a little to check on Ashlyn. She was currently laying down on the lounge chair opposite the elevator, one smooth leg over the other. She looked effortlessly beautiful and I almost lost my breath for a second when she stretched, her dress hitching up in the process. Focus! Can't afford to get a hard on right now.

"The conference should be starting in 30 minutes. Go there and do what a future Alpha is supposed to do. Protect the ones he loves, even if it costs him his life."

"Dad?" I said, as Marcus' voice was nowhere to be heard.

"Yes it's me. The call is on speakerphone. As I was saying," I smiled to myself a little, although it felt strained.

"Do your duty. As for Ashlyn, she's your mate and you know what you must do. You have to tell her because knowing you, I know you haven't said a word to her about it yet. Not telling her endangers her even more."

"How? Dad, if I tell her I'll feel like I'm failing her as a mate if I can't protect her!"

"Just tell her son, explain everything and leave nothing out. She's a strong girl, you must've forgotten that she fought for her life that night?"

"I'm-"

"An asshole for keeping such a huge secret from me." Ashlyn cut in. I had completely forgotten about her heighened senses as she stopped in her tracks several few away from me. I hung up the phone and focused my attention on her. Crap.

"Ash-"

"We have less than 15 minutes to get to this conference, now let's go." I stood still, watching her incredulously. I was expecting her to lash out at me but instead, she brushed it off with that fact that we had a duty to perform. I didn't like it one bit. I wanted her to yell, kick or scream at me because I deserved it. I'd been selfish, overloaded with pride, and in bittersweet denial over the whole situation.