Chapter 13

SAM’S POV

I could hear voices. Not clear distinct voices, but they sounded jumbled up. I couldn’t make out any words. The only prominent thing I could hear was a steady beeping sound. Every couple of seconds it would beep.

I tried to open my eyes but it felt as though they were glued shut. I tried to move the rest of my body but nothing happened. It’s as though I’ve been paralyzed.

Why do I feel this way?

Oh that’s right, I was shot. Wait, am I actually paralyzed?

I used all of my strength to pry my eyes open. It took a minute for them to adjust but eventually everything came into view. I was in a white hospital room, and Drew was asleep in the chair next to my bed while Kyle and Jake were asleep on the couch.

I groan as I start to feel a slight pain in my side. I was about to speak when I realized how dry my throat was.

“Drew,” I called and my voice felt a little raspy.

He sleepily sat up and looked at me. “Go back to bed Sam, it’s late.” It took him a little while but everything finally clicked. He sat straight up. “Sam! You’re awake!” He chucked the pillow he was using at Jake and Kyle. “Guy’s get up!”

“What is it, man?” Kyle asked.

“Sam’s awake.”

The two on the couch were up and by my side quicker the you could say “Hey,”.

“Hey, Sam.” Kyle said acting all cool.

“Hey,” I croaked.

“How do you feel?” Jake sounded broken almost.

“My throat’s dry and there’s are pain in my lower back.”

“I’ll go get your water and a nurse.” Drew said.

“And I’ll go get mom and dad.” Kyle said.

Once they left, Jake looked as though he wanted to say something but didn’t know how to put it into words. He was the one that reacted the worst when I got shot.

I smiled at him. “How are you feeling?”

He looked up at me and chuckled. “You’re laying in a hospital bed and you want to know if I’m ok?”

“Well you did freak out back there.” I looked at a clock. “Speaking of which what time is it.”

“It’s midnight.”

“Well at least I wasn’t out too long.” I smiled softly.

“Sam,” Jakes eyes turned sad and his voice was sympathetic. “You’ve been asleep for four days.”

My eyes grew wide. “Oh.” That was all I could get out.

Just then the door opens and Drew, Kyle, Rick, Martha, and a nurse came into the room. Drew came over to my right side and handed me my now uncapped water. The nurse came over to my left side and checked the machines and IV. After making sure that everything was working properly, she turned towards me.

“How do you feel sweetheart?” She asked kindly.

“There’s a pain in my lower back.” I told her.

“Well I’ll tell your doctor and we’ll see if there’s anything we can do to fix that.” With that she left the room.

I looked back to see Rick and Martha at the foot of my bed, Drew and Kyle on the left side of my bed, and Jake on the right side of my bed. All of a sudden a little ball of energy jumped on top of my bed and rapped his little arms around my neck. I slowly put my arms around Reese and hugged him back.

“I missed you.” He said in a sad voice.

“I missed you too Reese.” I hugged him tighter and let the tears flow down my cheeks. I looked at the rest of the Whelms. “I missed all of you.” They all came rushing toward Reese and I, and we gave each other the biggest group hug possible.

We hugged each other until the door opened and the doctor came into the room. They all went back to their original positions except for Reese. The doctor occupied the spot next to Jake.

“You said that you were having some lower back pains?” He asked. I nodded. “Well, the bullet passed through your liver. This also caused some nerve damage in your lower spine. Because of this you will have to take pills to help ease the pain and you will be prone to blood clots and acid build up.” He stated. “In short, there’s a hundred and one chance that you won’t live past the age of fifteen.”

A/N: Bum Bum Bum!!!