Chapter 5: The deal.

My stomach turns and my throat dries out as aunt Scarlet's eyes fall on me standing in the centre of the ballroom floor. "Raven my dear child, can you please join us on stage?" She holds her hand out sheepishly and smiles.

I swallow hard as the lump in my throat gets stuck

I swallow hard as the lump in my throat gets stuck. But I do as my aunt says and make my way up on stage.

Standing in front of all these prying eyes, my head starts to spin, my heart slams brutally against my chest and my mouth goes horribly dry.

"I am happy and so proud that my niece, Raven will be opening mating season by selecting her mate first." She says with a powerful voice and then turn towards me to give me an appraised nod, but all I'm focused on now is all the staring eyes on me as they follow my every movement. I can't help myself so I scan the crowds and see a few familiar faces.

Mannix, his face paler as mine, the look he's not even trying to hide, looks something in between worry and concern.

Alatar and Michael both with such smug smiles on their faces. I roll my eyes. As if I'm going to choose any of those two" I think to myself. "Oh no, I need to choose one of them.

The pit in my stomach rages like an infuriating volcano and it's making me nauseous. I turn slightly to aunt Scarlet, my voice barely scrapes through as I manage to get a whisper out...

"Aunt...aunt Scarlet?" My voice crackly getting through the loud sounds of my wildly beating heart.

"What's wrong my poor child? You're as pale as a ghost." She gasp out with widen eyes.

"I'm fine just give me 15 minutes okay?"

I want to cry but I don't, gods know how I manage to be this cool and calm on the outside when everything on the inside screams, run, run Raven as quickly as you can and don't look back.

"Are you sure everything is fine Raven?" She whispers back.

"Yes yes...Excuse me."

Is my last words as I take the steps down the stage onto the ballroom floor and push through the crowds on the dance floor, trying desperately to get out of this ballroom.

My chest, shit I can't breathe...I need some air.

Without a second to waste I run outside, and don't stop.