Chapter 30: Only The Dark

Written May 23-24th, 2023)

"C-Cicero?" Y/N questioned in disbelief. She sprinted once the jester replied with a soft yes. Her arms quickly embraced the imperial man as she took his scent in, not for food, just for the smell of home.

"Cicero always obeys the listener." He hugged her back, glad to know that Y/N finally started to put the puzzle together. Remus sat still on the bed, not realizing what was going on, even more, he doesn't know at all who the man was. He had an idea, but wasn't entirely sure.

"Now that I see you, I feel like everything is staring to come together." She admitted, finally noticing the meanings behind some of her scars, that hadn't healed over the years, even due to her vampirism.

"Does Y/N remember?" 

"Bits and pieces, but once I think about it, it all makes sense." The jester parted from their embrace, lingering his hands on her shoulders.

"What does the lady need?" He spoke softly, knowing this was an emergency, pleading for discretion. Y/N followed the man his gaze, that ended upon Lupin himself, who still was dumbfounded off what was happening.

"I need you to watch Eoin for me, more like spying, I just feel it in my gut that she is up to something. I threatened her last time and I just know that she has something to do with my memory loss."

"If Cicero, may speak so freely, I think you are getting slightly paranoid." Y/N scrunched her nose up, a feeling of annoyance flashing through her. How does the fool, come up with Y/N being the paranoid one?

"No I swear, she pushed herself into my family, got me to accept the vampire disease and suddenly some of the darker parts have left my brain." The jester slightly nodded, understanding where she was coming from. And who would he be, if not the loyal, humble keeper, who tries to understand everything?

"That makes sense."

"Of course, what a coincidence huh? It is just really weird that it all falls together. So are you up for the job?" Cicero wanted to say yes, but he didn't, he calmly spoke up, telling what was on his mind.

"Cicero thinks, that lady Y/N needs to talk with sir Mercer Frey." Y/N her eyes widened, not believing what he just said. Did he forget? Now that it finally was coming back to her? The name triggered another, rather sad memory. "No- No way Cicero."

"It is your only chance, dear listener." He tried to reason, speaking louder as Y/N did the same previously at the mentioning of Mercer.

"Who's Mercer?" Remus questioned, making Cicero raise an eyebrow, annoyed that he is interrupted in his conversation with Y/N. "No one important, Remus." Y/N replied fast to him, before she lowered her tone to Cicero.

"Did you forget he tried to kill me? If it wasn't for Karliah, I would already be under the ground, dead may I add." Cicero giggled at Y/N her forwardness, but nonetheless, Y/N knew that the jester was right.

Even if Mercer tried to kill her, with the fact that she was climbing up the ladder of the thieves guild. Not that Y/N had any intentions in being guild master, let alone join the guild. But it happened only because she accidentally killed a woman in riften.

The contract that wasn't hers? The one that got her to join the brotherhood? Well, guards where all around the city trying to find her, but luck stood by her side that night. Brynjolf took her with him to the Cistern, where she met the others of the guild, including the infamous guild master, Mercer Frey.

A slightly too arrogant Breton male, who had nothing positive to say. Always trying to find a way to insult the newer recruits. Luckily, Brynjolf had her back, as well as the other members. She was after all, the one who entered Golden Glow estate. Not even Vex could enter, Y/N showed of her sneaking skills and since it would be a bloody heist, she overly enjoyed it.