Chapter 3

Carter's POV

Okay I know I wasn't supposed to make it a habit but I just couldn't go to class this morning. I mean how could I walk in there when something about her bothers me.

So I skipped first period.

The entire day I tried to avoid the hallways that I knew she might be in and I succeeded. Up until now. I'm done with all my classes and as I was walking to my car my eyes catches her red hair.

She's by a black car in the parking lot with the hood up and is pacing back and forth. It's not my job to interfere but something is pulling me towards her.

Professor Valdez looks up from her car and we make eye contact. Now I have to go there. I internally groan and walk up to her car.

"Hey professor, do you need any help?"

"Ms.Woods you weren't in class today."

I look away from her, "I had something to do so I came in late."

"If you want to learn you have to show up." She says which makes me look back to her.

She looks extremely frustrated but not with me with her car.

"Is there something wrong with your car? Do you need help?" I ask again.

She looks around and then hesitantly nods, "You know anything about cars?"

I move a little so I can see inside the hood, "A little."

She moves away and I roll up my sleeves. Of course I don't know anything about cars. I'm just gonna pretend I do and then offer her a ride.

I mess around with a few things and then look up at her. To my surprise she's staring at me and when we lock eyes she doesn't look away.

No one here looks this good. She has to still be in her 20s. I'm pretty sure she's the youngest professor here.

I clear my throat, "I'm not sure what's wrong but I can give you a ride."

She shakes her head, "That would be inappropriate."

"We're in collage professor no one cares."

I know she doesn't want to but it seems like she needs to get home so she slowly nods, "This will not happen again but I would appreciate a ride."

I drop the hood of the car and smile, "Awesome follow me."

She follows me to my car which is in the same area. I open the car door for her and she raises an eyebrow, "You don't need to do that."

"I want to." Her intense green eyes does not soften for a second. She gets in and I close the door.

I get in myself and start the car. I put on the radio and put it on a low volume. I start driving and glance at her.

"Where do you live?"

"Just drive and I'll tell you where to turn." I nod and the car is silent for about 5 seconds before she speaks again.

"How do you afford a car like this?" She asks curiosity ridden all over her voice.

"My parents bought it for me."

"Rich girl and her daddy's money?"

I laugh, "Mommy's money actually. I have two mothers."

She hums, "Mmm people talk a lot about you?"

"About me, or the spoiled version of me, or the money my parents give the school?"

"Are you saying you're not spoiled?"

My hands tighten around the steering wheel, "Everyone thinks I am so does it really matter if I say no?"

From the corner of my eye I see her lips twitch but she doesn't say anything. Just as I'm about to continue talking I remember something.

"Oh Professor, is it okay if I drop by the pharmacy before I take you home."

I look at her and she nods, "Of course it's your car."

"Thank you." She hums.

"My knees hurt." She mumbles to herself and my life flashes before my eyes.

"Get on your knees and beg."

It can't be.

"I might die if I don't see you again."

No no no.

"What's playing on the radio?"

"You're not playing fair."

"Stop." I whisper.

"Sorry? Stop what?"

"Don't fucking look away or I'll stop."

"Stop talking." I say louder. Her voice. It can't be.

"Are you okay Ms.Woods? Your hands are shaking."

I look to my hand and then look back to the road. I try to take a deep breath. I was too drunk that night. It can't be her.

I open my mouth to say something but my phone starts ringing. Olivia's name is flashing on the screen. I take several breaths before I connect my phone to the car and answer.

"You're on speaker don't say anything embarrassing."

"Ooo do you have a girl in the car or something?" Olivia teases.

I groan but don't say anything.

She gasps, "Oh my god you do. Is it one of your one night s-"

"Liv I'm driving I have to go soon is this really what you want to talk about?" I cut her off.

"No. How are you? You didn't call yesterday."

I sigh, "Sorry the medication made me sleepy. I fell asleep."

I glance at professor Valdez and her face isn't giving anything away.

"It's fine. Sofia and I might be coming out soon."

I smile, "How soon?"

"Maybe in a month or a month and a half. It depends on Sofia and her work."

"Is she there?"

"Yeah give me a sec." There's sounds of shuffling and then Sofia's voice comes through.

"Hey sunshine, are you staying out of trouble?"

I laugh, "That depends are you?"

Sofia chuckles, "Nope, your sister has put me on a no driving ban because I apparently drive too fast."

"Give me the phone." Olivia says and I chuckle.

"Don't listen to her Carter she knows exactly why she can't drive."

I get to the pharmacy and park my car. I grab the phone and put it to my ear.

"Come as soon as you can okay? I miss you guys."

"We will, love you Carter. We miss you too." Sofia's voice comes though.

"Love you too Sof and I love you too Liv."

"I'll call you again later tonight." Olivia says.

"Alrighty talk to you later." I hang up.

"Sorry professor that was my sister and her fiancé."

She nods, "No need to apologize."

"I'm gonna go inside and grab my stuff, I'll be right back."

I open my car door and get out. I walk inside and walk up to the reception. She already knows who I am so as she sees me approaching she goes to the back and a few seconds later comes back with a bag fill of pills.

"Hey Carter, you didn't get anything new so no new instructions. Just make sure to take everything on time."

"Will do, thanks Ava." I take the bag from her and pay and then walk outside again.

I look through the car window and stop in my tracks. When our eyes meet again I'm sure of it. I could never forget those eyes.

We've slept together before.