Chapter 26 Epilogue

"And you? Do you know yourself 'enough'?"

"Do you want to quote Socrates to me?... You keep using what I say to ask me questions."

"That's my job; it's to try to make you better understand your thoughts."

"Oh but I, my thoughts, I don't need to understand them better. In here," she said while pointing to her head with her finger, "I have everything clear, doctor... it's all locked up in my mind: I know what is good and what is bad... what is right and what is wrong... what needs to be cultivated and what needs to be eradicated."

"Good, then give me an example of what needs to be eradicated."

"You want an example? Hmm ok." She stood up from the chair, walked around the heavy mahogany desk and looked out the window behind the doctor. "Him, for example" she said, indicating with her chin to a tall, blond, dressed in white man who was stationed in the square in front of the clinic and that, looking up toward the front of the building, seemed to be staring at her.

Dr. Von Hillkeneim swung on the swivel chair and, through the double glazed windows looked down.

"Interesting... you mean Harvey, our good nurse, is he the evil?"

"Not so much him, but what he represents," said Ada returning to sit down in front of the doctor.

"And what does he represent?"

"The will to change what has remained unchanged for thousands of years."

"And is that bad?!"

"It is if it requires my death, yours and that of another six billion people."

"Ah! I do understand" concluded the psychiatrist in a conciliatory manner.

"I doubt it" she remarked with a condescending look.

End 

-----------------

"Gnoti sauton", "Known thyself". Socrates adopted a maxim that it was written on the front of the greek temple of Apollo at Delphi: "Man, know yourself and know the universe and the Gods." This sentence is attributed by someone primarily to Chilon of Sparta.