APOCANGELICA - Prologue

"Why all this? My God... We are about to kill some men!"

"That are going to kill some animals!"

"But..."

"That are innocent beings. Here's why: to protect innocence!"

"But they're only animals."

"And they are just humans."

The girl lifted the barrel of the rifle upwards."But carnivorous animals kill other animals to eat them. I mean, Sergeant Instructor, is in the very innate nature of their creation, that animals kill each other, I mean... and humans too are animals after all, so if..."

Mark brusquely took his eye off the viewfinder and turned his head."Stop it, Cleo! Do you always have to turn to philosophizing at crucial moments? Think about your mission and that's it, fuck!"

The woman nodded in denial with her hand."No, Mark. It is fair that Cleo exposes all his perplexities. This is your baptism by fire and it is a crucial moment for all of you. Any kind of reluctance must be overcome, every doubt must be dissipated, so that the action is absolutely clear and does not leave any mark in your young minds.

You see Cleo, how you've pointed out earlier: those men are the animals of the Creator... and are going to kill the other animals of the Creator. However, those humans do not kill to feed themselves. They're going to kill those animals and will not eat them, but will take away their skins and that's just for financial gain... money, understand? They crave for money and to get it, they will sacrifice the body of those innocent creatures. They do not follow the laws of Nature, but those of financial gains. They are impious, in the most despicable sense of the word."

"Yes... Yes, but they are human beings" insisted the girl, with an unconvincing tone.

"They are impious human beings" pointed out the woman."And they must be stopped" she concluded peremptorily.

"Always the usual" snorted Mark while approaching his eye once again towards the viewfinder. After a moment, he raised his head and while turning it towards his teammate, and said:"Look at it this way, Cleo. The guy with the baseball bat down there is going to break your mother's head just because she is desperately trying to protect your brother from a bastard who wants to flay alive. And you? What do you want to do, Cleo?"

Cleo stared at Mark for a moment, and then his expression changed. The facial features saddened and a flash of determination passed across her eyes. With a snap, she put the shot in the barrel, rested the butt of his rifle against her shoulder and pointed it towards the wide valley ahead.

Mark winked at the instructor, who pleasingly gave him a nod.

The boy resettled into the shooting position. He became aware of the weapon which he was wielding, which he made it become a part of his body. He put his eye back to the telescopic viewfinder once again and framed the head of his target in the center marks."Recite your prayers, my friend."