Chapter 14

The angel and the human emerged in a flash of light in the Upper Kingdom. Ada leaned over to vomit. Whenever she visited Pangea alone she had never felt sick. But this time her stomach had turned upside down. She looked at the angel who instead was fine and was staring at her. "Perhaps," she thought, "he doesn't even have a stomach that can rebel to such an experience."

The angel spoke with a tone of sufficiency. "You're wondering how comes this time you felt sick and instead you didn't in all your other trips, right? The answer is simple: Now you are here in the Upper Kingdom in body and flesh. Please bear this in mind in case you want to try to vainly run away like last time. And now let's go" he said, grabbing her by her arm and pulling her up on her feet.

Ada got up, and obeyed the orders although only with the intention of sounding as meek and submissive as possible and then at the first good opportunity she would have taken by surprise her jailor.

"Where are we going?" She asked without expecting an answer while wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

"To the Elysium, the home of Light" said Samarniel suddenly looking around as if feeling suspicious by something that only he could hear.

"And which way do we go? Is it far?" she asked again, seeing that the other was willing to answer. "I hurt my ankle." He looked at her as if she was transparent. "We are not going to walk there... we will start moving again as soon as you stop throwing up."

Ada turned her back to him and put her fingers down her throat. Immediately a retch made her bend over again.

He looked at her with disgust. "Humans," he said in a low voice. "How disgusting!"

A ball of fire struck the back of the angel catching him by surprise and making him kneel to the ground for the pressure of the blow.

Ada was bewildered and frightened and groaned while crawling behind a rock and crouching, covering her head with her hands.

Samarniel immediately raised the shield to protect himself from the subsequent powerful shots. A second came in the following instant. The energy shield held the shot and the angel retrieved his breath preparing for the collision. He stood up proudly; he was ready to reply back to any attack spell that would have been hurled against him: Samarniel was expecting a loyal duel made of attack and defence spells in which the best one would have won, but his attacker had no intention of fighting according to the rules of the angels.

He launched another shot as a distraction and landed on him from above making him fall to the ground.

Samarniel got up again, angry for having been sent twice to the ground but couldn't do anything else. Efreniel hit him in the face, stomach and lower abdomen with a combination of elbows and short punches: hooks and uppercuts that hammered the other leaving him breathless. Samarniel felt the taste of blood in his mouth then nothing: Efreniel twisted his head violently breaking his neck.

Efreniel then dropped the lifeless body of the opponent to the ground. She looked at him with empty, cold eyes; his steady breathing testified how that execution was nothing more than a trivial job to carry out without losing too much time. He turned to the human girl holding out his hand. "We have to go before the others reach us."

"Did you have to kill him?!" she asked horrified.

"There was no alternative. I had to save you at all costs" he said laconically.

"Save me? You could have killed me with those balls of fire just now" yelled Ada.

"It was a calculated risk."

"Calculated by whom?" she asked undeterred while staring at him with her angry eyes.

"By me. But you're still alive, right?" he said while holding out his hand again.