trente-neuf

The three women didn't have much time for conversation.

It seemed as soon as they'd gotten in, the rest of the police officers who were pooled outside also began to come into the building.

Before it got too overwhelming, Nicoletta peeked her head out of the courtroom and laid eyes on the group. She at once parted the sea of blue uniforms and ushered everyone inside the room. Closing the police officers out in the hallway where they were gathering.

Inside the courtroom it was currently empty.

It was a room just like you'd see on the court shows that ran during the day. Milan was familiar with them because her grandparents were fond of them when she was growing up. There was an expansive walkway between large rows of pews. Almost like a church set up, although there were no altars.

The room's head was taken up by a huge wooden desk that rose from the floor like a partition. Milan knew that was where the judge would sit. Then nestled in its side, like a side carriage on a motorcycle, was the witness stand.

Everything was much bigger and more intimidating in person than it was on TV.

Only Judge Mathis himself could soften this room up.

Milan thought to herself as she looked around the room, her eyes then stumbling upon 3 men sitting on the first row behind a table.

It was only Ramses and his accompanying officers next to him. "So, we have about thirty minutes before the trial begins. You all will sit over here—" Nicoletta gestured to the other side of the room. Milan went to follow Yvonne and Valerie, but Nicoletta grabs her arm.

"Since you are taking the stand, Milan. You will sit right behind us, and when you speak, it will be obvious, so don't worry about missing your cue. The judge may even call you up herself so just be alert throughout the trial." She explained rather chastely, but Milan was not offended as she followed her directions and sat directly behind Ramses.

Oh, how she wished to just wrap her arms around him instead. 

She wished the day was over already.

"Judge Diana Cortez is a sharp woman." Nicoletta continued as she stood at the front of the room, right in front of where this judge will sit when she enters. 

Walking over in front of the table in front of Ramses, Nicoletta began to prep some manila files she'd brought. She continued to speak loudly about the judge as she prepped. Everyone, even Ramses's security team, remained silent. 

"She is a good one, though. Diana's fair. So, we do not have to worry too much about implicit bias or assumption just because of your skin color."

You could almost hear Miss Yvonne's sigh of relief. 

Although, Nicoletta was pretending like she was talking only talking to Ramses it was very clear she was trying to brief Milan and maybe even give Ramses's mother some peace of mind. Milan was grateful. 

"However, she is hard on gang violence. She is a very big supporter of gun control and despises drug dealers. Diana is a second generation immigrant from Mexico. Her brother was murdered by the cartel. "Nicoletta continued on and that piece of news did spook her audience.

Well, Milan and Yvonne.

Nicki didn't let them stew for long because she continued to talk. This time she stopped messing with the setup of the papers and pens on the table. This time it really did feel like she was talking only to Ramses.

"You have a hard case, Mr. Young. But I am happy to assure you, the odds are not already stacked against you. Diana will judge you for you and will see to the best of her ability all sides of the case. When your sentence is declared, I want you to rest assured we have done everything to the best of our abilities."