"Don't try to change the subject. What the hell was that back at the party?"

His voice changes. "You were so fucking scared, Layla."

I scowl. "I was not."

"Was it your first time?" He asks, his head cast down, looking up at me through his eyelashes.

I rub the back of my neck and sip my hot chocolate. It burns my tongue. "Yes." He knows what he's doing.

He licks his lips and laughs at the innuendo. "But I took good care of you, didn't I?"

I sigh. "It's time for you to fess up, Grayson."

Grayson leans back in his chair and spreads his legs. I feel his shoes right beside mine, caging me in. He still might be a little tipsy. Otherwise, why is he acting like this? "Or what, Layla?"

I don't respond. I just look away from his warm gaze that's heating up every inch of me.

"You want my secrets? I promise you, you don't," he says, his voice returning to normal.

I want to know you. I want to know everything about you. I'm surprised by the thoughts that just flashed through my mind. It goes beyond just physical now. I want to know what's inside Grayson's head.

"I'm not asking you to tell me about your whole life. What's the deal with James?"

Grayson crosses his arms, and I know that this is hard for him. "So you met James."

"Yeah, he seems okay."

Grayson scoffs. "What were you doing with him?"

I shrug and set my cup down. "Nothing, he was taking me out to eat. But then he got a call, so we ended up at that party. Is that a problem?"

He shakes his head. "No. Go out with him all you like, it doesn't matter to me. But just be careful."

"He said you don't like him for some reason."

Grayson scoffs again. "Well, he's not wrong about that. But he doesn't like me either. Did he mention that?"

"No."

"I'd tell you to stay away from him, but I'm starting to realize whatever I say flies straight over your head."

I hold the paper cup, letting it warm up my hands. "Maybe it wouldn't if I knew why you were saying these things."

"Why? Why do you want to know so badly? And don't tell me you're doing this for your grandpa. Tell me the truth this time. I might be lying, but so are you."

I shrug, lost for words. I can't answer him because I don't even have one. "I don't know."

I could say it's because he's so familiar, and I can't place why. Because a part of me feels like I know him.

I feel his knee hit my leg. "You don't know?" The side of his face is starting to bruise up. It's going to look nasty tomorrow morning.

He used to live here. I don't bring it up. I'm going to keep that to myself for right now.

Grayson watches out the window. "It's slow now. We should go before it picks up again."

I nod as I finish up my hot chocolate. I toss the cup away on our way out. Grayson follows me outside, where the rain has calmed down into a light drizzle again.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asks. "Or should I call you an Uber?"

"You know, it's not that funny. You shouldn't ride that thing when you've had something to drink."

Grayson smiles, and my stomach does somersaults looking at it. "Okay, Hands. Are you getting on or what?" He straddles the bike, holding it up with his legs. I suddenly wish he owned this thing because he looks so freaking good on it. Damn you, Kade, with all your nice things.

I get on behind him after putting my helmet on and hold onto him, my arms tightening as he pulls onto the road with speed. I realize what I'm doing, so I relax a bit. He feels that and grabs my hand, his other steering the bike, and pulls me tighter.

"You can hold onto me as tight as you want, baby." My jaw drops in surprise under my helmet, and my cheeks feel like they're on fire. I will pretend I didn't just hear him say that. "I like it," he laughs. I slap his helmet.

The wind passes through us, making my body shiver, and the rain picks up just slightly. It's thrilling, almost.

When we get home, Grayson pulls my helmet off my head. His soft fingers brush over mine. "You wanna ride it? I could teach you."

I snort, fixing my hair.

"What's funny?" Then he realizes. "Oh. I meant the bike, you pervert."

I chuckle. "No thanks. I've seen pictures of road rash. That shit is no joke."

We start walking up the driveway. "Doesn't it get boring being so ... boring?"

"No, asshole, it doesn't. I like my quiet life very much."

Grayson chuckles as we step into the house. "You're riding it," he says, sure of himself. Then he sees the look on my face as I'm fighting back a smile. "The bike! Animal, I swear."

I let out a cackle as we walk to the kitchen. Grayson shoves my shoulder gently with a smile of his own.

"Layla, Grayson!" Grandpa beams. "Perfect timing. We were just about to eat dinner."

"You're home? I thought we were going to pick you up?" My mom asks as Grayson and I join them at the table. There's the we again.

"I finished up early, so I asked Grayson for a ride. I assumed you'd still be running errands."

Grandma sets a tray of fried rice on the table, and my stomach grumbles. I freaking love Grandma's fried rice.

"Has your dad called yet?" Mom asks, plating herself some food.

I really wish she hadn't asked that. "No." I forgot that he was gone. Grayson's arm slips onto the back of my chair as he reaches for the rice. I'm hyperaware of it. "Did you talk to him?"

"No," she shakes her head, shoveling a spoonful of rice into her mouth. "I thought maybe he called you."

"Well, he didn't," I snap, suddenly not hungry anymore. The table goes quiet. I close my eyes and let out a sigh. "Sorry," I say and push out of my chair.

I hear my mom's voice behind me. "Crap," she sighs. "I shouldn't have brought him up."

Once in my room, I pull off my damp clothes and head straight for my shower. After I'm done, I pull on my pajamas. Tonight it's sleeping shorts and a tank top. I turn on my TV and slip underneath the covers, fighting the burning sensation behind my eyes. Reece Witherspoon appears on my screen, and I settle into my bed.

I'm about thirty minutes into Sweet Home Alabama when there's a knock at my door.

"Come in!" I call out, knowing it's just Grandpa. The door slowly opens.

It's not Grandpa. It's Grayson.