Chapter 15.

I huff, stepping back on my weak and wobbly legs. "No. That was enough for one day." Then I turn to Kade. "Why do you like going so fast?"

He opens his mouth to respond with a smirk, but I stop him with a hand.

"Actually, don't answer that."

Kade starts busting out some moves, doing some kind of shuffle on the street. "That was so fucking fun!" He's not a bad dancer.

Grayson sits further back on the bike, unfazed by Kade's dancing as if he's used to his friend breaking out moves randomly. "Come on, we'll go slow."

I want to get on because that was fun. But I'm not going to give Grayson the satisfaction by admitting that.

"Some girls would kill to get on one of these things."

"Yeah, adrenaline junkies."

Grayson just sighs with a smile. "You're telling me that wasn't any fun for you?"

"If I get on, will you shut up?"

He pats in front of him without saying a word. I walk over and get on the bike. Grayson's hands find my waist, and I hold my breath as I sit down.

He puts my helmet on, then reaches forward, putting my hands on the handlebars, his body flush on my back.

"This is your throttle," he explains, his hands covering mine. "And this one is your break." With his hand still on mine, he presses down on a lever. "And this is your clutch."

"Okay," I breathe.

"I'm gonna put it into gear," he says, his leg moving behind me. "Now, if you slowly release the clutch, we'll start moving. Slowly," he reiterates.

I do as he says, releasing the lever as slowly as possible, and we start moving.

"Just like that," he chuckles. "Now give it some gas."

"No way," I say. "I think that's enough."

But of course, he's stubborn, so with his right hand still covering mine, he twists the throttle slightly, and we move forward faster.

"Grayson!" Kade calls, standing by his convertible. Grayson takes complete control of the bike and steers us back toward Kade.

"What's up?" Grayson stops the bike and parks it, getting off. I pull my helmet off and follow him.

Kade slides his phone into his pocket and looks up at us. "My mom wants you over for dinner tonight. And you too, Layla."

That surprises me. "Your mom knows me?"

"No. I just told her we're hanging out and probably eating out, but she wants us to eat at home with her. Is that fine for you guys?"

Grayson nods. "Yeah, that's fine." Then he looks at me. "Lay-Lay? You don't have to if you don't want to."

"No, it's fine," I shake my head. "I love moms."

Kade snorts. "So do I. Speaking of, where's yours?"

We laugh as we head inside the house. I give Kade a good shove on the shoulder.

— — —

Kade takes us to his parent's house in his convertible, assuring us that he'll have no problem driving us back home later.

As he drives, Kade is telling Grayson about the new guitar he got the other day. I get a text on my phone. It's Iris.

Iris: Laylsssss where are you? I'm home now.

I quickly fire back a response.

Layla: Sorry, I'm kind of busy tonight. Can we do something tomorrow?