11- The Mysterious Prisoner

"The theory behind the curse-bodies of the blood fever… It modifies its own archive from the species it infects and grants the host a superior chance of survival so that it can be transmitted to the next host. Even going as far as creating a group of infected for its own survival. It cannot live without a host."

"How can you be sure?" Prince Earic remembered asking.

"Any sample left than two bells in normal temperature was not infectious."

The Third Prince of the Kingdom of Artaria looked down at the notes he took.

"What do you think, Doctor Sevares?"

"It's amazing," the doctor said as he shuffled through the notes. He was lucky enough to listen to the conversation from behind the steel door of the cell. "To think they actually did that much when they were barely adolescents. It makes sense actually, and most of the information about curse-bodies we know now is much more than what we knew a century ago. I wonder if we can find the book they referenced from."

"He might be the best opportunity we obtained so far, if we can gain his cooperation."

Doctor Sevares frowned. "I doubt that will be that easy, your highness. For now we have leverage. Still, you are certainly aware of the fate of most Blood knights.  He might look young, but in actuality he is very old. They were the first blood-knights to be created and obviously the longest to survive. Who knows what time does to them."

Prince Earic nodded. There were rumors that some blood knights grew insane over time and requested their companions to kill them. Some got overwhelmed by blood-lust and had to be forcefully put down. The oldest surviving bloodling they know is the king of Shokra, and now including the man in their captivity.

"Lord Cohen did mention that he had no issues at all and he traveled with him for many days," Prince Earic said. "And he certainly hid his identity well. There were no bouts of insanity or any signs of bloodlust. Even in his starved state, he is conscious. He has great discipline, as expected of a knight."

"Shall I organize the information for the king to go over, your highness?"

"You may. You are dismissed."

"Yes, your highness."

Prince Earic was left alone to his own devices, his guard silently standing behind him like a shadow. Even Earic was unsure of what he should do. There were multiple reports of attacks by bloodlings from across the kingdom and mostly by rouges. The king sent a formal complaint to the Kingdom of Shokra, asking them to personally get rid of the bloodlings as they are considered property of their kingdom.

But Prince Earic wanted to use this opportunity to capture some specimens before allowing the Shokrean Blood Knights to get rid of the bloodlings. King Tristan believes his efforts are meaningless and fruitless, and the task was proved to be quite more difficult than expected. It didn't take many tries for the prince to discover that whatever specimens which should be obtained must be captured alive. A dead specimen was useless and was only a source of infection if handled wrong and not burned as soon as possible. Whatever curse body discovered in the dead bloodlings were not reproducible under artificial bodily conditions. Thus the hope of capturing a live specimen. The doctor's information quite explained well enough why they failed. 

"The envoy has already arrived in the capital," Earic muttered under his breath as he looked at the map of their kingdom. He wondered what their reaction would be if they knew that the legendary Lord Cedric Oswain was still alive.

Still, he needed to wait for the blood sample to grow its curse-bodies. Yet, he really had no idea what to do with the blood knight captured in their dungeons. As promised, they allowed the girl to reunite with the man. Although the girl was not the man's blood daughter, she seemed to have grown a kindling of dependence on him and pretty much clung to the man's sleeve ever since. A bed was also placed in the cell out of courtesy to the little girl and they were given enough blood to keep them sane for a day.