5 - Past

"Still a long way go, aye."

Cedric looked up from the old scrunched up map, finding the face of Samson looming over him. He was a nosey fellow, expected of a boy at barely nineteen. He sat down next to knight, ready to peal of the skin of the roots the soldiers dug out from the prairie lands. They were fortune enough to pass by a village in the afternoon to buy some bread and cheese in exchange for bronze, and maybe a smoked deer tigh.

Besides the doctor, Sapphire slept soundly on his lap. Cedric didn't find himself minding the child. In truth, he found the child akin to a tamed feral cat. The type of cat that snarls when displeased and yet returns back to you when hungry and acts cute when it wants company.

"Can you even see that thing with that light?" Samson asked again.

Cedric scowled, yet leaned the map closer to the fire-light. The brothers were off to bring more firewood while the girls were simply huddled together on the opposite side. Much time has passed since darkfall, and dinner was yet to be served.

There was the sound of a snapping twig. Samson's hands went to his sword, only to relax when he discovered that it was just the brothers.

"Took you two long enough," Sir Leonard said as he tended to the fire. Harris dug out their afternoon haul while Cedric shook the sleeping child awake.

Soon, the food was distributed and everyone silently watched the fire as they ate.

"Pardon me," Penelope said, "But how much long till the capital, my Lord?"

"Four more days if we don't stall," Sir Leonard replied. "Five if not."

"Thank you, my Lord," Penelope said.

It was obvious she everyone wanted to go to any form of civilization as soon as possible.

"Traveling is very difficult, lass," Harris said. "Specially in not so friendly neighborhoods. But the more you travel, the easier it gets."

"I will... Keep in mind."

"Did you get the blood the kid needs?" Sir Leonard asked from the doctor.

"The butcher was quite helpful," Cedric replied.

"Must she drink blood everyday?"

"Depends on the thirst."

Sapphire looked up, pouting, "I don't get thirsty all the time."

"Better safe than sorry."

"Even if she did turn feral, I doubt she can do any damage," Jason said with a chuckle. "I mean, look at her. She's tiny."

Sapphire gave out an annoyed hum and said, "I am still growing!"

"Sure you will," Mikhail said, grinning.

"I will eat alot!"

"You will be fat if you eat too much," Penelope said.

"What's wrong in being fat?" Sapphire retorted, "Or are you afraid that boys won't look at you if you were?"

"Sapphire," Cedric said.

"Wha_"

"Apologize."

The girl looked down. "Sorry. But she started first!"

"There is a limit. Now eat."

Sapphire shut her mouth and nibbled on her piece of smoked meat.

But Penelope still glared at the little girl. It was Precilla who nudged her ribs. "She's just a child. Don't be so petty."