Chapter Eleven

Obi-Wan was back on Mandalore, standing in front of Darth Maul and the Death Watch, with his love, Satine, imprisoned by their cruelty.

"Your noble flaw is a weakness shared by you and your Duchess." With an almost casual gesture, Maul had her in a Force Choke. Obi-Wan felt the anger rise within him, burning hot like fire in his bones.

"You should have chosen the Dark side, Master Jedi," Maul hissed, slowly but surely moving towards him, Satine still in his grip. "Your emotions betray you. Your fear and...yes, your anger. Let your anger deepen your hatred!"

"Don't...listen to him, Obi!" Satine gasped desperately, her hands clawing at her throat.

"Quiet." Maul ordered with a wave of his hand. Obi-Wan stared at the floor, unable to look Satine in the eye, as he felt his heart begin to throb with a pain far worse than any wound he'd sustained so far. Satine shouldn't be there. This was between him and Maul, she shouldn't have been dragged into this! But Obi-Wan was a soldier. He never gave up, even when all seemed hopeless.

"You can kill me, but you'll never destroy me," he said slowly, listening to his love's words though he could not look at her. He knew what he believed in though. "It takes strength to resist the Dark Side," he raised his head in bold defiance, fighting to free himself from the guards. "Only the weak embrace it." The anger rose even higher inside, demanding he let it in. Out of sheer stubbornness, he rejected its plea.

For a brief, comical moment, Maul looked surprised, but then slipped back into the role of the tempter, never easing his grip on Satine.

"It is more powerful than you know."

"And those who oppose it are more powerful than you'll ever be," he stared Maul right in the eye, playing his best card, the one he knew would affect him. But he played it out of anger, as if that could soothe Maul's own fury. "I know where you're from. I've been to your village," his eyes blazed with blue fire as Maul turned away from him. "I know the decision to join the Dark Side wasn't yours. The Night sisters made that decision for you."

"Silence!" Maul snapped, whipping round to face him, striding closer towards him. "You think you know me? It was I who languished for years thinking of nothing but you," he pointed the dark saber at him, pure fury in every movement, every word of his voice. "Thinking of nothing but this moment," he swept his arm out, indicating the still struggling Satine. "The perfect tool for my vengeance is in front of us," Maul continued, now moving back, away from him. "I never planned on killing you, but I will make you share my pain." 

He extended a hand towards Satine, cutting off the last of her air. Obi-Wan ran to help her, but was quickly beaten down by the guards standing just behind him. 

It happened so quickly. 

Maul ignited his dark saber, raising it as he brought Satine forward with the Force, the blade impaling her right through the stomach, keeping her held up so he could see. Obi-Wan could only watch as she struggled, a gut-wrenching horror rending his heart and soul in two, writhing within him until that was all he could feel. Maul dropped her, letting her fall to the ground, and Obi-Wan was by her side in an instant.

"Satine!" his voice cracked on her name as he gathered her up into his arms, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. Satine gasped, and he felt pain and fury slicing through him like a blade through butter. It felt like he was being torn apart from within, slow and agonising. The last spark of innocence, the last of the light, was dying in his arms.

"Remember, my dear Obi-Wan," she reached up to rest her hand against his cheek, and he leaned into her touch, closing his eyes as he fought back the tears. "I've loved you always. I always will." Her eyes closed, her body going limp in his arms. He'd never even told her he loved her too. He'd failed.