Chapter Nine

Obi-Wan was meditating when Talia came up at lunch time. He knew it was her, and that Anakin wasn't back, because Anakin didn't knock on the door. A shame, really, he needed to speak to the boy. Not that he disliked Talia's presence, of course.

"Come in, Talia."

"I thought I told you to sleep." Talia replied, sitting down beside him and passing a plate over.

"Thank you," he took the plate from her, then sighed. "You did. I'm sorry, but I had to notify Master Yoda. We've been told to stay put while he investigates the issue." Talia stared at him with a deadpan expression.

"Darling, what makes you think I can read your mind?"

Obi-Wan hesitated to speak. Talia stared at him, an expectant look in her eyes. He dropped his gaze to the floor, his shoulders slumping. A soldier defeated.

"You were right about him. About Anakin." Like that's a surprise, she thought.

"I'm still not following," Talia told him, taking a bite of her lunch. "Continue."

"That nightmare was a Force vision," he met her gaze, blue eyes grave. "Anakin went dark." It felt right to trust her with this, to tell her of these things, oddly enough.

Talia wasn't surprised. She'd sensed the darkness in him the moment they'd met the day before. She could feel the potential for it, slowly growing over time. Someone was nurturing it, manipulating his fervent emotions, stoking them into a wanton wildfire. An influence she recognised.

"Beware of powerful men," she nodded, her voice soft now. "For powerful men are dangerous men." A warning from her mother, a memory from a long time ago...which Talia hadn't listened to, clearly. Power and charm. Stay away. Stay far away. Ironically, she would probably have loved Obi-Wan.

"You worried about Zoe being close to him." Obi-Wan pointed out.

"She can take care of herself, thankfully. But I've been in her position." 

"Verräter."

"Yes." She inclined her head towards his plate, still untouched. Obi-Wan took it, but his focus remained on her.

"What did he do to you?"

"Torture." Talia finished her plate, setting it aside. Obviously, Verräter had done a hell of a lot more than that, but she wasn't going to tell the man her entire life story. Obi-Wan nearly choked on his food.

"What?"

"I'm not kidding." Talia brought one knee up, leaning back with her arm resting on top, watching him through her peripheral vision. She could feel the anger rising in him, the indignation on her behalf. Well, she'd have to come to terms with him being a decent person, she thought with another spike of surprise. 

Obi-Wan frowned. "Are you okay?"

Talia raised an eyebrow at him. She'd been changed beyond all recognition from- was he insane?

"Oh," his eyes widened in realisation and he ducked his head, blushing furiously. "I'm sorry."

"You're cute when you're flustered, Kenobi." Talia smirked, highly amused by this. She'd got the legendary hero of the Republic flustered, after all. Obi-Wan blushed even more at her words, feeling his heart start to beat faster, a soft chuckle escaping him.

Her grin broadened and she winked at him, making his face grow even redder, his breath catching. Talia was tempted to keep teasing him. But, with a valiant effort at self restraint, she dropped it, leaning back with a sigh.