Chapter Seven

Seven shots later, and Obi-Wan was very drunk indeed. Talia watched him from under lowered lids, her fingers playing with the rim of her shot glass. He was a very beautiful man, she thought, with gentle, honest eyes. Someone you could trust. Someone who felt like...home. He was a hero in every sense of the word. He was the sun. How did he exist? He was so good, so warm, so safe.

And she was a rogue. A weapon. A shadow. It was her nickname as a Sith, during their reign of terror. But the way he looked at her made her feel like she was something more. The night seemed gilded in a golden haze, warm and sultry around her.

"Like what you see?" he asked with a smirk.

"Of course, my dear, very much." Talia replied, her voice smoother than the tequila they'd been drinking, a voice that could melt all but the very strongest of hearts.

Obi-Wan chuckled, his face flushed from the effects of the alcohol. And maybe something, or someone, else.

"You're dangerous, aren't you, my darling?"

A tiny hint of amusement played across the edges of her lips.

"Isn't that what makes me so intriguing?"

"Intriguing is far too weak a word, my dear."

She kept her eyes on him, studying him carefully, not even trying to hide it. The corner of her mouth curled into a smile.

"You enjoy danger, don't you?"

He returned her smile. "I mean, when it comes in the form of a beautiful woman..."

"I'm not for everyone, you know." She warned, leaning in, closer to him. Obi-Wan mirrored her action, closing the space between them, keeping eye contact with her.

"A riddle not many can solve."

"Exactly," Talia winked at him and leaned back in her chair. "I think I win." She was referring to their drinking game.

"Alright!" he laughed. "I admit defeat!"

She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, a mischievous spark within. 

"You sure you don't mind hanging out with a former Sith apprentice?" her voice was light and playful, like summer sunlight dancing over a rooftop.

"It's my job," Obi-Wan pointed out. "I'm not gladly doing this out of generosity."

That hit hard. Talia felt like she'd suddenly been punched in the gut, as the galaxy came crashing in on her once more, the golden haze scurrying away. Why did that affect her so horribly? She shouldn't be surprised.

Obi-Wan frowned.

"Oh, was that bad? I'm sorry."

Talia exhaled softly, gathering her composure once more as she sent him a crooked grin.

"I think it's your bed time now. I've been too much of a bad influence today already." She led him up to his room, keeping close by his side in case he stumbled and fell. She paused just outside his room, leaning against the doorframe as she watched him continue into the space.

"Night, Kenobi."

And, with that, she slipped back into the shadows, padding quietly through the condo, her feet making no noise against the floor. The golden haze had faded to a soft silver now, a change she felt deep in her bones. She could have sworn she felt the Force, the entire galaxy holding its breath, as if waiting for something to happen. 

The alcohol still ran through her blood, and Talia realised that it would keep her awake for a long while before she'd be able to sleep. Not that she slept much anyway.