Chapter 14

Pov Riaz

I finished checking the state of my look while I saw my best friend struggling with his salwar.

" I'd rather be Algerian, why don't I have a cami?" he said in exasperation

I gave him an amused look, he was only complaining, whether he liked it or not, he was stressed, it was his wedding after all.

"Yours too," my mind breathed, thank you, I had almost forgotten, I thought wryly, looking at myself in this wedding outfit, I felt uncomfortable, I had accepted mother's proposal of marriage, but only for her but in the end, why had I accepted without thinking? I sighed, it was too late to back out.

"I can't believe it's been a month since I last saw Amina, one month, I felt so helpless," he said, dropping onto the mattress.

" One month is nothing, you're going to spend the rest of your life with her," I laughed.

However, the time had passed quickly, since my sister's mehendi party, everything had gone very fast.

"So keep as much distance from me as possible, only talk to me if necessary, I want us to act like strangers without more, a hello and a goodbye at the most"

My heart sank as I remembered every word the mosquito had said to me, her sweet face had been so saddened, cold that day, did I even have the right to call her that, she told me to become a stranger to her. Yet it was impossible for me, I had noticed my feelings too late, yes, I loved Azra, I loved her with all my heart. Why was I so stupid, I felt so empty without her, she had managed not to appear in front of me, but even so my eyes kept searching for her, I felt guilty towards Rania, I was going to marry her but I was thinking of another girl.

"Riaz, are you thinking about the mosquito?" my friend asks me gently

" No, of course not," I tell him defensively

He gives me a comforting smile, yes I couldn't help but tell him everything.

"I know bro, you are heartbroken but do you really think you are capable of marrying Rania in this state, of giving her the love and support she needs?" He questions me seriously

I sighed, I knew he was right, but what else could I do, every time I wanted to talk about it with my parents, my mother's happy face prevented me, she was so happy to marry her two children, I was unable to take away this joy, I would be such an unworthy son.

"Zafir, I can't do anything about it now, I have to accept the destiny that Allah has reserved for me, he knows best, I can't humiliate my parents now by stopping my marriage nor Rania's family, they don't deserve this," I said resignedly.

"So you're going to sacrifice your happiness ? Riaz, your parents will always understand, all you have to do is marry Azra, if you don't want to humiliate them," he said without any logic

He made me laugh slightly, and if only everything was so simple, it wasn't, Azra hated me, I don't even know why but I couldn't have her, so I might as well accept my destiny.

" Zafir, I know you want me to be happy, and I am, I make my parents happy and I'll be able to take care of Rania and forget about the mosquito, it's just a matter of time," I said, trying to be convincing.

Really? My mind asks me sarcastically,

He gave me a pained smile, to which I replied by hitting him, I didn't like this atmosphere. 

" Come on, let's go, Amina is waiting for you, old man," he said, snatching a smile.

He was well and truly in love with her. As I walked through the door, my heart became heavier. Ya rabb, I don't know what will happen, but lead me to the right path.