Chapter 33: Savior

"No!" Alex screamed.

She sobbed. Newt didn't move when she laid her head on his chest. Sonya dropped down beside her. She gently moved his hair out of his face and placed her forehead down on his, crying. Minho stood there, for a moment, then dropped to his knees with a quiet anguished "no!"

The sisters cried, holding onto each other, and onto their big brother. Their brother who protected them as children, who missed them so much he knew something was missing in the maze and tried to end it all. The brother who sobbed when he found his little sisters again, the big brother who would do anything to keep his sisters safe and happy. They held his now lifeless body and cried.

Alex heard more footsteps but ignored them. Something had caught her attention. Alex sat up straight, fully attentive to Newt.

"Sonya...ssh for a second." Alex whispered. Sonya sat up and looked at her funny.

Alex leaned back over his chest. Placing her good ear over his heart. She closed her eyes concentrating hard.

No. It couldn't be! No, that's impossible! There's so much blood!

She sat up and then quickly placed her check right on his mouth. And she felt it! She felt the slightest wisp of breath.

"HE'S STILL SHUCKEN ALIVE!" she screamed.

She looked up wildly, seeing who else was around. Frypan, Captain Ronin, Gally, Felix, Brenda and Kenzie were standing around watching.

"HE'S STILL BLOODY BREATHING!' She screamed again.

Sonya gasped. Minho was looking back and forth between Newt and Alex. No one else moved.

"COME ON! WE NEED TO GET HIM TO DR PRIOR!"

Alex pulled out the syringe, trying to get it out. To her surprise Felix rushed forward and pulled it out of her shaking hands. Alex met his eyes, and nodded. Felix believed her. It didn't seem like anyone else did, because no one moved.

Minho crawled over, his eyes desperate. "He's alive?" He whispered. Sonya had her hands over her mouth.

Alex nodded, "barley."

Felix got the syringe out and jabbed it down into his chest, pressing his thumb on the release, the serum entering Newt's system. Alex sighed, and then looked at Captain Ronin.

"We need to get him back to the Berg. NOW!" She demanded.

He looked skeptical. That made Alex's anger flash wildly. Her fists clenched and she could feel her face getting red. She stood up and stormed over to him.

"THE LONGER WE STAND HERE THE LESS TIME WE HAVE TO SAVE HIM. AND IF HE IS DEAD I'M NOT LEAVING HIM THE SHUCK HERE TO ROT! SO HELP." She screamed, anger coursing through her small frame.

"Please?" She pleaded, tears ran down her face again.

Captain sighed in defeat. He picked up Newt, one arm under his legs and the other under his back. Newt's head flopped back.

"CAREFUL! WATCH HIS HEAD!" Gally yelled.

Alex spun around and ran, leading the group back to the Berg.

Minho caught up to her, his breathing was ragged, and his face was pulled into a frown.

"You...you saved a kid in The Glad. Real?"

"Yes. Matt. A wall fell on him."

"You had a breakdown. I helped you come out of it."

"Real." Alex confirmed.