Chapter 17: Interrogation

Minho

He was running as fast as his exhausted legs would take him. He took another corner as the monster screamed at him. The scream made his heart beat faster with fear, and his brain wild with panic. But the scream sounded like Alex, like she was in pain, it sounded like she was being attacked again. She was screaming for his help, but it was coming from the monster chasing him. He didn't know if he was running away from the monster or if he was trying to find Alex. He was so confused, and panicked nothing made sense to him anymore. He had a glimpse of the monster, and it made him stumble. He had to blink and shake his head. No. It couldn't be! Grievers always looked the same; Spider like grey greenish gooie blobs with mechanical legs and black beady eyes. Why would this one be different?  His stumble and hesitation was his downfall, the monster gained on him.

Minho tried to run faster, but the monster was faster, he had sprinted for too long, his chest was heaving, lungs were burning. Sweat poured off him, making everything stick to himself. His shaking exhausted legs stumbled around a corner, he fell and skidded down the Maze corridor. Ripping the skin off his elbows and hands. His head slammed into the ground with a crack. He could hear the monster approaching. It was still screaming in Alex's desperate heart breaking screams. Making him panic, flinging his head around trying to find her. He had to help her. 

The Grievers' sharp legs stabbing into the ground. Minho rolled over, wiped the blood out of his eyes. He froze, his burning lungs forgetting how to breathe. 

The Griever had Alex's voice and now it had her eyes. 

It was towering over him. He was too exhausted and dizzy to get back up, he was paralyzed with fear. A tear slipped down the side of his face. The Griever slowly crawled its way, it stopped directly over him. The Griever lowered its head. Alex's eyes looking at him. It opened its mouth showing off rows of razor sharp teeth.

"Good bye Minho." it said using Alex's voice, it wasn't screaming in pain anymore, it was sickly sweet. Minho choked back a sob. The Griever laughed at him, it sounded like Alex's laugh. The Griever sank its teeth into him making him scream in pain. The Griever ripped him apart.

His body strained against the straps holding him down and he tried threshed around. His screaming ripped his throat. The WICKED employees could hear the screaming through the door and down the hall. The Doctors inside the room weren't affected by this, they watched him with mild interest, making a few notes on their clipboards. One doctor standing by the chair double checked the IV that was inserted earlier into Minho's arm. A clear liquid was being extracted slowly, Minho's blood would flow out of the IV, through a huge machine and a clear liquid would separate and slowly drip into a tube. It would drip faster with every scream. The small vile finally filled up. The doctor nodded to the assistant at the dials of the computer screen. She turned it off.

_______________________________________

Teresa

The laboratory was quiet, the med wing was quiet, the human test subjects were sleeping peacefully. Teresa was standing by a table full of papers filled with notes and formulas, but nothing made sense. Not that she was trying, her mind was still racing from what she overheard that morning.

Alex and Thomas and the others are here! Janson is going to kill them. How...how can I help them without drawing attention? I still need to warn Minho!

She heard some rustling behind her. She turned away from the papers and walked over to the bed where a small child lay. She reminded Teresa of Chloe. Big bright eyes, and smile.

WICKED had allowed Teresa to work in the lab ever so often, uncontrolled, but closely monitored. It was easy to understand how doctors and nurses were swayed by what WICKED preached, how they were helping save the world. Especially when they were only ever in this section, and never knew the dark and dirty ways the "test serums" were extracted.