chapter 1

My feet pounded on the concrete, and my breathing labored. I ran, the cold winter air slapping my face like needles, and wind nipping at my heels. My feet stumbled, my mind disoriented. I... Was late.

School started 10 minutes ago, and I still wasn't in my seat, my mom was going to kill me! I looked at my watch. 11 minutes now. I picked up the pace from a run to a sprint, and my breathing picked up just as much as my feet. My target was in sight, and a smile crept onto my lips. I usually hate school, but not today, oh no, not today. First was a field trip, which you can imagine is rare in high school. Going to Main Event, my absolute favorite place to play arcade games, bowling and Lazer tag, isn't a common thing either, and after that, when we got back to the school, it was going to be the end of the day on a Wednesday, meaning book club! We left off at the climax of the story, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next!

I scanned my card and bursted through the glass door, which was reflecting the sunlight creating a nice glowing reflection, lighting up the large main room and grand staircase. I sprinted down the hall and cought up with my group just before they walked out the door, any later and I would have missed out on the day I've been looking forward to for weeks. My breath was still burning in my lungs as I walked, and I went light headed as I caught my breath. My friend walked beside me as she spoke.

"Cutting it a little close, ey?" She said and flashed me a smug smile.

"Yeah, but it's not my fault! *Huff* my alarm didn't go off" I laughed slightly at the end of my sentence, remembering the chaos that was this morning.

I woke up with a start from my dad bursting into my room.

"You're going to be late for school, kid! Up and at it! I won't tell your mom if you get out of here in 7 minutes at the most!"

I jumped out of bed, me feet hitting the cold tile ground, sending a shiver up my spine. I ran around, grabbing a shirt, shorts and my socks, as well as my phone, headphones and money (for snacks and extra points hehe) and ran out my door and down the hall to the front door. I threw on my shoes and bent down to tie them. My dad walked over and pat my on the back.

"Fastest you've ever gotten ready! See you after work kiddo." My dad said as he walked out the door.

"Alright pops, see ya later! Love youuuu!" I said, extending my 'you' as usual. He smiled as I got up and dashed out the door, him following behind, and getting in his dark green Toyota.

I broke out of my trance as my friend wove her hand if front of my face.

"Dude, get on the bus" she giggled as I noticed I was standing in front of the door with angry glares directed at the back of my head. Well, I won't let it ruin my day, today's gonna be great! I smiled as I entered the bus and sat down before my friend and seat buddy could take the window seat. A grin on my face, I felt the sun glow. Lets do this!