Chapter XII

The pain was unbearable

So this is what stepping into one gate was. The nannies worked day and night, constantly, while Ruyi and Hai Lan supported their little sister as she was in active labor. Ying Luo screamed like bloody hell, as the contractions and pain grew stronger. 

She pushed, holding Ruyi's hand, squeezing tighter, until a loud cry came through. Ying Luo sobbed in happiness, "It's a prince!" one of the nannies said. But Ying Luo could feel another contraction, another child. After another eternity, it seemed to her, she gave birth to a princess. A dragon and phoenix. Ruyi was smiling tearfully. 

Ying Luo was sweating and tired, having lost a lot of blood, but had survived. Hai Lan and Ruyi were there for her, and that's all she needed. She passed out a few moments later. The Thirteenth Prince and the Sixth Princess were presented to Qianlong, who was overjoyed. 

"Great! Great! A Dragon and Phoenix, my first twins!" Qianlong was gleeful, as he took the prince and princess in his arms. Hai Lai and Ruyi were smiling before they bowed, congratulating Qianlong. 

"These children, Consort Ling, birthed well for me…The Thirteenth Prince will be Yong Zhi, and the Sixth Princess, Jinghua "

Ruyi volunteered to raise the children along with Ying Luo. The emperor  accepted this idea. 

❀❀❀

Ruyi watched over the sleeping Ying Luo with a smile. Ying Luo stirred awake, and in pain "older sister?" 

"You're awake? Does it hurt?"

Ying Luo hummed. She was still in pain, but her voice weakly asked, "The children?"

"Healthy…all are healthy Ying Luo, you did it. Chubby, healthy and strong cries."

Ying Luo cried, tears flowing down, holding onto Ruyi's hand. Ying Luo took a moment to calm down: she was alive, and her children were safe. Yanwan wouldn't touch them…she'll be damned if she did. 

❀❀❀

A month after her postpartum recovery period concluded, Ying Luo was talking with the small entourage of consorts. She was officially a mother to twins. She had to admit, raising them with Ruyi…was nice. She secretly enjoyed being a mother. She wished they had a better life. Thankfully, Ying Luo didn't have to accompany the imperial entourage to the Mulan ranch because she was still in recovery from her labor.

Of course, there were always rivals in the inner palace eager to take advantage of even momentary weakness. The troublesome duo struck. Ying Luo heard  that Yanwan was sick. 

When she read that note that Hai Lan passed, she scoffed, "Of course, she would.” She wasn't necessarily mad , and she wasn't going to take action unless Yanwan’s plans involved hurting a child. So far, Yanwan had kept to her word. But it was still annoying. 

"Consort Min made a bold, unauthorized move. Sister, you can't let this go easily." Hai Lan said.